Thread: Grizzly trip...Part I

Red face Grizzly trip...Part I

I have been wanting a planer for a while now. Of course after looking around I was even more confused but had deciced against a portable. I also did not like the prices associated with what I found in comparission to a Grizzly. So I narrowed it down to the new G0453 or a G1021Z.

I spoke with a couple of people who own both and decided...I need to see them side-by-side. So the wife and I both took this past Friday off and we drove to Springfield, keep in mind we live in Houston. Got on the road about 7am and stopped to get a room at about 630pm approx 25 miles from Grizzly.

We got up Saturday and arived at the store around 9am. All I can say is WOW...I want one of everything. I spent a little time walking around the store just looking and wishing I had married a rich woman.... I went to the planers and there they were...side-by-side. I looked at both models saw some differences but not what I deemed as 300.00 worth.

I also got out to the "discount room". This room has several machines that were freight damaged but repaired mechanically, at a marked down price. There were 3 1021z planers there, all less than 1000.00. I did not get one of those because they only have a 90 day warranty on the motors. I figured I would rather have the 1yr warranty.

I finally decided to take the plunge and bought the G0453. As I said before, there is a difference between it and the 1021Z, but not what I would call 300.00 worth. I am of course a little concerned that this is the first year for this machine. But I do not ususally buy anything the first year it is out.

Now for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

The Good: EVERYONE I dealt with at Grizzly were VERY helpful in trying to make my purchase easier and better. I had 2 Salesman (I am a shmuck for not getting the names) that spent a great deal of time with me. The cashier who put us in contact with the credit card company (so we could work out a bank issue). All the way to the Guy at the warehouse who took time to wrap my box in plastic to help ward off the rain for my long drive home. He and I even discussed the best way back to Dallas. Overall an awsome experience.

The Bad: The main concern I have about this machine is whether or not the table will stay parrallel once set. For example. If I set it correctly, then lower or raise it, will it move from parrallel? I am going to assume that it does some...but my question is " What is acceptable or within tollerance to Grizzly"? No one there seem to be able to answer me.

The Ugly: The drive to Dallas where we spent the night and visited with the Grandbaby. Just for information, if you are in the Dallas area you can be inside the showroom in 8 hours. Just fill up before you start, don't pee and drive 80 at least most of the way. The 80 part is easy as the speed limit through Oklahoma is 75.

I am including some puctures. For refference I took some sitting on the back of my truck (F250 4x4), being unloaded, label and what it looks like from the top. It is still inside the box at my work. I will uncrate later this week and document its movement and setup at my house. Then we will run some Mesquite and Purple Heart through it just to see how it likes it.

There was a time when the smell of cosmoline was unpleasant, now my wife puts a little behind each ear for those "special" evenings.

All said and done. A total of 1430 miles round trip. We came back to Houston this afternoon.

Look for Part II too come soon.

Dwayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

And here I am trying to decide if it is worth the long drive, three hours, over to Orlando to go to the woodworking show. I guess that I should be ashamed of myself.

What a trip! You must have wanted that thing real bad.

Allen

I have been wanting a Planer for more than a year now. Also understand that I love road trips. longest one to date is 6482 miles in 2 weeks. Went to several states and saw lots. Also got to spend 3 days with family.

Dwayne

Nice road trip!!! I live about 80 miles from the same store.
    Make a visit 2-3 times a year.

Dwayne, any relation to the Paynes of Joplin, Mo?

No relation that I know of. I have been told that there were originaly 3 brothers that came to America. Jesse, Paul and Ralph. 2 of them stayed on the east coast and the 3rd headed West....so maybe somewhere back in the deep dark long-ago times.

Dwayne

I feel your pain as far as the road goes!

I took a 900 mile round trip to pick up a Delta DJ-20 that I purchased off of E-bay. Drove about 70 miles north of Pittsburg from Lexington, KY in 2 days.

As a bonus, the fellow also had a Delta sanding center that he wanted to get rid of as it was his last piece of equipment in the shop. Happened that it just fit in the truck!

The SWMBO says that I'll make a trip like that but she has to shove me out of bed to get me to go to the office every morning .

Good luck with your new equipment! I hope you have as much fun with it as I have with my new jointer and sander.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Kimbrell
    The SWMBO says that I'll make a trip like that but she has to shove me out of bed to get me to go to the office every morning .

Gotta have priorities
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges