Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mustard, green or white?

I have used a 6" Craftsman jointer for more years than I care to remember. I recently bought a Grizzly 0490, that is the DJ-20 clone. There were some issues with the first shipment, mine included, with the struts for the motor support getting damaged in shipment. Grizzly has replaced my stand and some other stands around the country. It is a good jointer. Is the DJ-20 twice as good? I don't think so. In fact the 0490 has a better placed on/off switch location than the DJ-20. I would not hesitate in recommending the Grizzly 0490 to anyone looking for a 8" jointer.

Howard

The real issue is, do you spend the extra money and get longevity out of a machine or purchase cheap and wish later own that you'd bought what you really wanted to buy in the first place.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Matt, your thinking exactly as I am.

Tom, good question! Thats what I want to know. What makes ____ (insert brand) worth more than the others?

Denis, good question too. But I have not heard any problems with life of any brand honestly. Well maybe the HF ones but I am not looking at those.

Dennis, is that the new PM PJ822 parallelogram jointer that you are getting? If so , please see my other post on that subject.

CPeter

I'll join in as I just went thru the process

to buy a 8" jointer. I settled on and received delivery last week of the Grizz G0490 with the parallelagram beds. I also own a Delta X5 36-L31X-BC50 (new last Nov), a Delta 56-750 Dust Collector, and the DeWalt 735 planer.

The fit and finish of the Grizz rivals that on the X5, both mirrior smooth. So far my dealings with Grizz have been top-notch, and of course it's way too soon to tell if the machine is a winner. But the unit, with liftgate service, was delivered for $859. The best price on a DJ-20, my dream machine, was $1559 plus unspecified shipping. If I took a Delta and Grizz and painted them both purple, you'd be hard pressed to identify which was which. The best price for a similar PM was $1664.

For my shop, this was the final piece of the puzzle. I have a General Internation mortiser, an old Craftsman 12" Band Saw (bought at auction), and older Craftsman Radial Arm saw, and an inexpensive Craftsman drill press.
    Trees. Tools. Time.