Thread: Visiting local turners

Visiting local turners

I've been meaning to post this for a long time but I'm lazy. I spoke with Any Hoyt and he goaded me into finally posting it. (My spell checker doesn't know Hoyt. It suggests Hot, Hoot, and Host. Andy our hot host, what a hoot!!) I also wasn't sure where to post it. I've split it in half. The visits to the turners I'll post here and the other visits in the off-topic forum. Hope that makes everyone happy .

In late November they hold Artists Open Studios in Northeast Connecticut. There are over 90 artists in 72 studio locations. I decided to visit wood workers and to concentrate on meeting the local wood turners but I missed some when I was sucked into the studio of a potter, a couple of photographers, and a gentleman who does pen and ink drawing. Still, I did visit a few wood workers.

I only visited three studios Saturday because I spent a good deal of time talking with people. As much as I wanted to see their work, I really wanted to talk with them.

My first stop was The Studios at Puddin Lane. This is Ken Langworthy's house. Behind his house he has a two car garage with a one car sized addition off the side. The driveway is buried under chunks of wood. The addition is the gallery and the garage is his shop. Ken was one of the nicest folks I met all day. Ken's shop is packed to the rafters with tools, bowls, wood, and unidentifiable stuff. There is only a narrow path to get from the door to the lathe, wood stove, and other tools.

ken.jpg
    The first picture, above, is Ken behind his lathe. It is an older Delta lathe. Ken has limited vision so years ago the state gave him the lathe so he could make a living. You can barely see the green headstock and some of the original bed on the left. Ken was showing me the beefy extension bed he built for this end of the lathe. Also out of sight are the buckets of homemade turning tools that sit on the floor. On the wall to right you can see some store bought tools and under them some tools made from lawn mower blades. He had tools made from car springs, struts, large screw drivers, and other strange pieces of steel. A couple were made from steel bars from a loom and looked a lot like John Hart's Ugly Stick. He also had home made handles. Some of those were made from square steel stock, three feet long that had two quarter-inch bolts as set screws to hold the various cutters.

drive.jpg
    The lathe was as eccentric as Ken and his tools. He explained the Delta lathe originally had five speeds, no reverse, and broke twelve dollar belts all the time. The lathe is now powered by what he describes as a hydraulic drive, as shown in the picture above. There is an electric motor on the top that turns something (pump, compressor?) that is hooked up to a transmission (PTO?) from a John Deere tractor. The output shaft turns a large plywood flywheel that powers the lathe via a long belt. He turned the electric motor on and by pulling out and pushing in a handle under the lathe bed, connected to a valve, he was able to continuously vary the speed of the lathe down to a crawl. He says the lathe has plenty of power/torque.

lamps.jpg
    In the studio portion of the shop, a long table was covered with a variety of turnings. I was intrigued by his wooden lamp shades. A couple are shown in the above picture. They are even more translucent than this picture would have you believe. Hard to take a picture of a lamp in broad daylight with the camera flash going off!

bowl.jpg
    I really liked this little bowl, about twelve inches in diameter, because he left some of the tree so you can get a feel for the size of burl in relation to the tree.

He also had some off axis pieces that were interesting. The outside of the vessel turned on one axis while the inside was turned on another axis giving the wall of the vessel a varying thickness.

As Ken handled that piece, holding it at the end of his nose so he could see it and rubbing his hands all over it I realized he "sees" his work differently than those of us with sight.

Great story David, Thanks for sharing
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

My next stop was Gil Hite's shop. I have had a newspaper clipping about Gil Hite on my refrigerator for the last six months as a reminder to go down and visit his shop. He has space in an old mill building in Willimantic. I found his shop and was greeted by his grandson. Seems Gil had promised to be in two places at once that day and at his age his super powers aren't what they once were. His grandson did give me a tour of the shop.

shop_smith.jpg
    The shop is dominated by the Shopsmith in the middle. I was fascinated as I had never seen one before. The shopsmith is used to prepare bowl and spindle blanks. He actually does his turning on a Jet Mini that is just out of sight in the far right corner. (I figured if you've seen one Jet mini you've seen them all)

bowls.jpg
    Some of Gil's work was on display in the hall outside his shop. A nice collection of different style bowls.

pens.jpg
    He also had a large selection of pens on display. I liked the whimsy of his cigar pens. Hmmm...I wonder where he gets the labels? I picked up one of his business cards from the table. His business is named "Turning Seventy". Seems he was inspired by his birthday cake a few years back!!

gil_hite.jpg
    I drove into downtown Willimantic and finally caught up with Gil at the art gallary. Seems the local turners club was having an exhibit and it was his turn to man the store. With all the members displaying works it was a bit over whelming.

bowl.jpg
    Gil had this bowl out which I really would have loved to take home. While I was there two couples came in. These folks went straight to Gils work - seems they collect him. How cool!

Gil was nice enough to take my name and address and recently sent me a photocopy of the club's newsletter so I could find out when and where they're meeting. I really appreciate how he has gone out of his way for me and I look forward to making the next meeting.

The last stop of the day was at Michael Allison's house. I was looking forward to meeting him as I had seen his work on display at our community center.

Michael-Allison.jpg
    Doesn't he look thrilled to met me? (I did like the lamp) Hard to look that dignified when there is a copy of Captain Underpants sitting on the table next to you! He has a beautiful home set way, way back from the road in the woods. His shop is in the basement but I wasn't offered a tour (I heard he has a OneWay) Perhaps if we meet at the turner's club he'll warm up. Clearly, he was set up and prepared to met folks looking to buy art not talk turning.

red_vase.jpg
    His work is dyed the most amazing colors. My crappy digital camera doesn't do it justice. When I asked him about his technique he explained it briefly and mentioned this was the type of thing the AAW covered in thier magazine. I expressed an intterest and he finally got off the couch and raced to his den. He keeps all his magazine in a file cabinet organized by month and year. Whew! He came back with some magazines to show me a sample and gave me an application. He seems nice enough, just a some what formal person.

Here are a few more picture that don't really do his work justice.

allison-bowls.jpg
    display1.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. I'll post the visit to the luther and rustic furniture guys later.

Dave Fried
    Last edited by David Fried; 03-07-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Wow, what an interesting time. Thanks for posting. Some new ideas in there for me.

Ernie

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sure! Blame it on me. Everyone around here does.

Thanks for the tour, David. That first fellow is most inspiring.
    Only the Blue Roads

Boy, very interesting, and well written. Love that burl bowl the first guy made. Thank you for posting all this

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Sure! Blame it on me. Everyone around here does.
    No problem Mr. Hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    That first fellow is most inspiring.
    And quite the character. He still has the three wheel bandsaw the state gave him, it's gathering dust. He has some choice words for it. He now uses a Delta bandsaw.

He also has a Sears RAS. He says he gets them for free from folks who claim they can't cut straight. He tunes and adjusts them and swears by them. Who knows?

His best story was that when the state gave him the lathe they sent him to the local vocational school for three weeks. There he learned to make frame and panel doors. Came home and figured out the lathe for himself! Sounds like the state.

I do wish I had taken more pictures.

Dave Fried

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass
    Boy, very interesting, and well written. Love that burl bowl the first guy made. Thank you for posting all this
    Isn't that cool???!!!

Nice visits Dave. Did you happen to get a close look at Gil's pieces? Are those flat form vases Hollowed? Inspiring work!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Nice visits Dave. Did you happen to get a close look at Gil's pieces? Are those flat form vases Hollowed? Inspiring work!
    I didn't handle his pieces - too many, wouldn't know where to start! I'll see him at the next turners meeting and ask! Have you figured out how to use that monster compressor to power your lathe yet? I was hoping the hydraulic drive might inspire you!

Dave Fried

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    .... Have you figured out how to use that monster compressor to power your lathe yet? I was hoping the hydraulic drive might inspire you!

Dave Fried
    I've given it a little thought Dave. The fact that the shop floor already has a pulley system built into it..driven by a diesel engine, leads me in the direction of extending the spindle out the back of the headstock and hooking it up to a variable pulley system. That would give me a couple hundred HP I reckon. I would kinda lose the safety factors that I presently enjoy though!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Enjoyed reading this post David, the guy in that last pic looks
    more like "Get Out" than formal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
    the guy in that last pic looks
    more like "Get Out" than formal!
    They say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
    It was a good chance to practice my charm

He did seem surprised at the idea I wanted to take his picture.
    Seems it was a first and I'm sure he was a bit uncomfortable.

Dave Fried
    Last edited by David Fried; 03-08-2006 at 10:25 AM.