Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Vintage Planes

Collecting Vintage Planes

I would like to start looking for vintage planes to collect. My question is how collectable are Sargent planes? Anybody out there collect planes? Are there any good books that lay out what is collectable and what aren't? Any outside input would be appreciated. Thanks
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Most of mine (80+) are Stanleys, but I do have a few Sargents, Millers Falls, Ohios, some Keen Kutters, one Fulton, one Sandusky, and one Winchester.

The Stanleys are the most in demand, and also what are most commonly found.

The Sargents are really good planes - some are, IMO, actually better than their Stanley counterparts. There isn't as much collector interest as with Stanley, but that's actually a good thing if you're starting out. It means that the Sargents are usually obtained at better prices than Stanleys.

BEWARE!!! You're standing at the top of a very slippery slope! I started out acquiring "just a few users" and now I have over eighty planes in all sizes, shapes and configurations. You too may find yourself sliding down that slope! BEWARE!!!

Here are 61 of mine, plus a few scrapers and spokeshaves:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 03-07-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Jim, thank you for the information, I have bought several Lie-Neilsen's and use them all the time, love them, but now I want to venture out! if you know what I mean...sounds like you have quite the collection! again, thank you for the info on Sargent.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana

Jim, I knew that you had a "few" planes but I never realized that your collection was that large. I have started to buy a few but in my case it is a "few". I think I have 15 or 16 at the moment. I am a small time collector compared to you. How do you have such a large collection stored/displayed?

Howard

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Michael,
    When I started my rust hunt I scowerd the country side looking for users. I truthfully told the venders I was a student of the art and they fell all over themselves trying to help me out.
    Truly an adventure talking to some of these characters.
    Should be a lot of good stuff out in your area.
    Good Hunting
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Two reference books you might consider owning are:

(1) Sargent Planes, Identification and Value Guide. by David Heckel
    (2) The Sargent Tool Catalog Collection.

Mr. Heckel is a former President of the MWTCA and published this book in 1997. Naturally the "values" are a bit outdated, but it is a good start in terms of comparing the value of one Sargent with another. If you are a member of the MWTCA (and if you are intent upon becoming a collector, you should consider it, or membership in a similar organization) you might even be able to correspond with Mr Heckel or other well known collector-authorities in the Sargent field. I believe Mr. Heckel published the book privately and that it is still in print and available from him.

The Tool Catalog Collection is also a must . It is a reprint of portions of the 1894, 1910 and 1922 Sargent catalogs. It includes a company history and good general overview. Having at least several original or repro catalogs is essential if you are to become familiar with the offerings of any particular manufacturer. This publication is available from Astragal Press.

I recommend acquiring both books as a start. I myself am not a collector, altho I have a number of friends who are. In my view, a "collector" is a person who has a very focused, disciplined approach to tool acquisition, (not to be confused with the "accumulator" or the "user") as well as having (or is seriously developing) a very extensive knowledge of whatever genre of tool(s) he collects.

After you get started, you will be available to help us with our Sargent identification questions, won't you?

michael, although i don`t collect sargents i do collect stanleys and jim is right! use caution before jumping in, it really is less demanding of both your time and wallet to buy new......but if you`re nuts like a lot of us jump on in .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Jim, thank you for your insight! I will go find look for the books, and do some research.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana

Michael

Here are two links to Sargent planes:

http://www.thckk.org/sargent.html

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/imag...0iron%20planes

They may be helpful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You can get Dave Heckel's book directly from him. Here's the ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/SARGENT-PLANES-I...QQcmdZViewItem

Collecting or amasing. I think I'm a amaser.
    Like Jim, have a load of them.
    Mostly stanleys that need restored.
    Last count was over 70. I think I'm edging up on Jims count , running neck and neck.
    All this only took a year to accomplish, thanks to Ebay

I like restoring, tuning them up, then passing them on to a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Collecting or amasing. I think I'm a amaser.
    Like Jim, have a load of them.
    Mostly stanleys that need restored.
    Last count was over 70. I think I'm edging up on Jims count , running neck and neck.
    All this only took a year to accomplish, thanks to Ebay

I like restoring, tuning them up, then passing them on to a good home.

Steve,
    Amasser. That's a better descriptive term than collector for me, too. If you're that close to catching up, then I'd better get spending! Since moving here to Ohio, I haven't seen much in the way of decent planes for sale. I've resorted to Ebay for the last several - other than the L-V's and an L-N, of course...

Here you on not finding much where you live. Same here.
    Have to venture out 40-50 miles, or to Ebay.
    When I do find some irrestible goodies, they think it's worth the price of a new Cadillac.

This is a bit off topic. I only buy old planes to use, but I've never bought an old plane that had a flat back on the iron. Didn't our ancestors ever flatten the backs of plane irons? On some of them, it takes hours to get the back flat and polished.

No value here, just wanted to rant.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    This is a bit off topic. I only buy old planes to use, but I've never bought an old plane that had a flat back on the iron. Didn't our ancestors ever flatten the backs of plane irons? On some of them, it takes hours to get the back flat and polished.

No value here, just wanted to rant.

Mike
    I don't think the old fellows did much to any of their planes - just used the heck out of them, right out of the box... Of all my planes - other than new LN or LV, I don't think I've ever gotten one with a flat sole, or a flat back on the iron.

Considering the quality and beauty of much older furniture, etc., it makes one wonder how beneficial all this fussiness is.

BTW, before I do anything to a newly acquired plane, I make some test cuts with it. If it cuts okay, I don't even measure the sole (or iron) for flatness. I just sharpen the iron, and use it.