Thread: Attaching 6" metal duct

Attaching 6" metal duct

I am in the process of ordering the six inch metal ductwork to hook up to the new Woodsucker. What would you recommend I use to attach the metal duct (26 gauge) to the wall or ceiling? Will have a straight fifty foot run with six Wye's for the dropdowns. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Jerry Todd
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Jerry,

I bought a roll of metal strapping from a plumbing supply house. Loop it around the pipe then screw it to a ceiling joist. Works just fine.

Ron

Attaching metal duct.

Jerry, I have used a couple different things. Probably the quickest and easiest is to get some of that plummers strapping, you know the metal with holes in it, from home depot. For my run along the wall I actually cut some standoffs from plywood that matched the radius of the pipe and fastened them to the wall then used a short piece of plummers strap screwed across the opening to hold the pipe in place. If you have a hardpiped air system you can put the air line at the juncture of the ceiling and wall then the dc pipe right over it if that will work with your layout. I have also used metal banding material but unless you have easy access to a bander it's not much of an option.Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Jerry, I used 24" plastic wire ties to hang my duct. They are strong, allow you some room to work while you are hanging things and transfer less noise to the building structure. Plastic plumbers strapping would have been my second choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. Second the zip ties

I also went with the zip ties against the ceiling. I used short blocks of T-111 siding about 3" x 6" with one groove down the middle (the ones milled form the factory). I then screwed the block against the ceiling with the groove against the ceiling. I used this newly formed channel to run the zip tie through, then around the pipe. Really easy. Good luck.