Thread: need help

need help

this door is from old hutch I had make new door to match this one it's quarter sawn white oak the finish is whats I'm stuck on it's has an orange tint,,,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

How about de-waxed orange shellac? Worth a try. Good luck.

Joe

I would agree with amber shellac, and only add a LOT OF COATS to get that dark. What's wrong with that door?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I would agree with amber shellac, and only add a LOT OF COATS to get that dark. What's wrong with that door?
    this door is fine the door I'm making a replacement for someone made from oak plywood and stained it dark the cleint wants me the make a door like this pic. except for design,,,,,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    this door is from old hutch I had make new door to match this one it's quarter sawn white oak the finish is whats I'm stuck on it's has an orange tint,,,,,,
    I'd play with orange shellac and garnet shellac on some scraps until I got it close.

Another alternative would be transtint dyes, with a top coat of shellac.

The original was probably finished with shellac (only) though.

BTW, are you carving a fleur-de-lis for the new door, too?

Oh Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    I'd play with orange shellac and garnet shellac on some scraps until I got it close.

Another alternative would be transtint dyes, with a top coat of shellac.

The original was probably finished with shellac (only) though.

BTW, are you carving a fleur-de-lis for the new door, too?
    fleur-de-lis?? So what school did you attend for this langauge?
    All I got out of that class was whatcha-magigger thingie. [means I have no idea]
    Steve

Mike

My wife and I made a top for an antique dinning table that was destroyed. The original finish also had an orange tint. We experimented a lot to get a color match. We started with orange dye (water base) as the base coat then applied various other colors to finish. It took a lot of trys before we found the right combination.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    fleur-de-lis?? So what school did you attend for this langauge?
    All I got out of that class was whatcha-magigger thingie. [means I have no idea]
    Steve
    quacked like the AFLAC duck. thanks for the laugh,

b

Mike,

I have no idea what era that door is from, but I know it was very common at one time to fume (amonia I believe) QSWO. The chemicals react with the acid in WO to darken the wood. Maybe you want to try something like that too. I know I have read that this can be replicated with dyes so it is safer than fuming. Just a thought.

Noah

I have come real close with:
    Minwax
    Step one - English Oak stain
    Step two - Colonial Pine stain also additional coats
    Step three - Antique oil

I'll post photo of shelf but will have to work on it for the web (reduce it's size) - only if you want to see it.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
    I have come real close with:
    Minwax
    Step one - English Oak stain
    Step two - Colonial Pine stain also additional coats
    Step three - Antique oil

I'll post photo of shelf but will have to work on it for the web (reduce it's size) - only if you want to see it.
    thanks I will have to get some antique oil ,,,,,I have been mixing stain and using amber shellac all morning about ready to give up and let the client find a refinisher that can match it,,,,, But I'll try this I'll post when it's done,,,,,,
    Mike