Thread: What is the proper machine to do this sanding job?

What is the proper machine to do this sanding job?

I will be resawing Cherry, Walnut, Oak and Maple. Finished thickness will be 1/8" and 1/4" for a lot of the material I will make. Width is still up in the air but I expect 12" to be the max. Shortest length is also up in the air a bit but 6" to 9" seems to be in the ballpark. this length can be longer if machine requires.

My goal is to go from bandsaw(vertical) to sander to finish.

Single phase power 100A service is what the shop has.

What is the "proper" machine and what other methods will also product a good end product.

Ed, much of the answer depends on how consistent the actual thickness will be once resawed. If you're getting real even thickness across the entire cut, for a 6" or 9" piece, I would think nothing more than a good ROS should work just fine. If it's not a real consistent thickness across the whole plane, then something to get it flat will be needed, ala a drum sander. The caveat there is, I'm not sure any of them will work that well with something as short as 6". Maybe the new Grizz benchtop model might, but not certain. Also, I find that even with the finest grit on my Delta drum sander, I still need to take a quick swipe with a ROS to get the final sanding scratches off the surface.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang
    I will be resawing Cherry, Walnut, Oak and Maple. Finished thickness will be 1/8" and 1/4" for a lot of the material I will make. Width is still up in the air but I expect 12" to be the max. Shortest length is also up in the air a bit but 6" to 9" seems to be in the ballpark. this length can be longer if machine requires.

My goal is to go from bandsaw(vertical) to sander to finish.

Single phase power 100A service is what the shop has.

What is the "proper" machine and what other methods will also product a good end product.
    Like John says it kinda depends on how well the resaw process is but if it were me it would require a drum sander.

The delta drum sander john mentions will do small stuff like that without any problem, at least mine has. I have sanded guitar backs and fronts with it to pretty uniform thickness over the surface of the material. Some of the larger drum sanders may loose control of the piece (9") wiithout mounting it to a piece of plywood with double faced tape. Then you should be able to do with it what you want to do. If you are going that thin you will want a backer board to run the material through with anyway.

I would say the drum sander is in the works for you but be careful it is a slippery slope to find the right one. After 4 tries I finally have the one that works for me. General International.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Looks like Ed is trying to come up with an excuse to buy the new Griz Benchtop Drum Sander
    Maurice

I have the Delta 18/36. Like John says an ROS is usually necessary for the final finish. One problem I have had with short small pieces is it tends to stall when it starts to go under the second hold down roller (the one on the out feed side of the drum). To keep it from doing that I keep a "pusher" handy to keep the piece moving. If it stalls you get a divit at that spot. Dick B.

Thanks John,

Jim, I didn't want to get into the same process of buying a machine and it not doing what I want so I buy another one.

I have been looking at the Woodmaster ones for a drum.

I would love to find someone who is making such material and hear from them.

Final use for some of this material will be laser cut.

One thing I did't say in the original post was since I have a CNC router that has a 4' wide bed, I have been looking at the 50" Woodmaster. I would like to get someting that will grow with me.

I can find used machines that all require 3 phase power but not knowing about used equipment and the power issue, I will stick to new and 220 single phase for now.

Maurice,

If I thought that machine would do all I want, it would be delivered early next week!

planer?

Why don't you cut the boards longer/thicker and run them through the thickness planer? Uniform results & very mimimal sanding....

Hank

how many bd feet are you talking about ? if you are talking 1000's, better get a decent widebelt

lou

Hank,

sounds good, now what machine is best to do the sanding?

I'm with Lou - having spent too much money on drum sanders that don't do the job the best machine would be a widebelt. You should keep the workpiece longer whatever machine you end up with.

OK. I had the widebelt in the back of my mind as the one I did need but was wishing for the price of the drum sander. Its only money right?

Given my 100Amp service and single phase power and not willing to buy used and have to spend days, weeks or longer to get it going, what are my options on machines?

Ed,

The Performax 10/20 drum sander is just the ticket. It will sand very thin and very short pieces, just right for the engraver. I own one, it is much more usefull than the 24" dual drum sander I once used to make plaques and it takes up much less space

The 10/20 will sand thin Corian pieces that you resaw on your bandsaw as well. This machine is small but not a toy.