Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: riving knife v. free DC unit

riving knife v. free DC unit

In a previous post I mentioned my pursuit of a Laguna TS, if I could massage the price down a bit. Well, that attempt hasn't been very successful, and while I'm still tempted to pony up the couple hundred more than I planned to pay, the hyper-aggressive salesmen are frankly starting to get irksome.

Which brings me to Powermatic. Several of you fine gents mentioned the new PM2000 in response to my earlier query. I've checked it out, and it looks outstanding (not sure if anyone here's got one yet who'd like to chime in with first-hand experience). I'm particularly keen on the riving knife, though the retractable mobile base seems pretty sweet too, insofar as you can put the saw right down on the solid ground- seems like it's bound to reduce vibration.

I was about to scrap the Laguna project entirely and place my order for the PM2000- which I can currently order with the 50" Accufence for $2000 (free shipping). When...

Amazon posted a deal where I can order the X5 3hp/50" Bis. fence and get a free Jet 1.5 hp dust collector free (no free shipping)...for a grand total of $2,000.

So I'm pondering: what's more valuable in the long run? Riving knife/sweet retractable roller base, or a ($500 list) dust collector (which I'll have to purchase eventually if I don't get it now, as I currently am stuck using a shop vac...like I said, I'm starting out...).

Thoughts from those more experienced than myself? I'll admit I'm leaning to the powermatic and just eating the cost of a new DC in a few months, but I'll take the wisdom of years on tap here!

Personally I'd probably opt for the X5 w/ the DC. While the Laguna and PM are excellent, I could see the X5 meeting all of my needs and a free DC to boot isn't bad.

I guess it really depends on how often you think that you will want/need to move the saw, and how bad do you really want the riving knife.

My advice is buy the best saw for you, and don't get TOO bogged down on trying to save a couple hundred bucks(10%). This a a major saw purchase and one you will have for life. The jet DC is not going to keep you happy for long, as you will eventually want a cyclone style DC iof you hang out here.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Hurry if you are interested in Amazon!

They are having a 10% off sale on all tools from Amazon (as opposed to the pass-throughs like Grizzly, etc). Details on their web site. But the sale ends today.

If it were me, I would opt for the Powermatic with the riving knife. I really wish that my table saw had a riving knife. My circular saw has one and it is great.

Jeremy, if you are interested in the Delta, do a search. I think someone had gotten an X5 shipped for about 1400.00. Deal may not be available anymore, and I don't remember which fence or rail length, but it sounds like if still available, you could buy a small DC and come out ahead dollar wise.
    I saw the PM2000 at the local Woodworking Show in December. It was nice looking, but didn't blow me away. 'Though the riving knife is a very good feature!
    You don't say where you hail from in you profile. There are woodworking shows around the country that would allow you to go see up close and personal several offerings at the same place. I just received the Houston show catalogue today (don't know why).
    I agree with Tim, get the best saw for you that is within your budget. I know what I want, it's just not in the budget!!
    Good luck and let us know which way you decide. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I agree with Frank and Tim

The riving knife would be a very good feature and the 1.5 hp DC won't keep up with your future acquistions.

I say that because you already know quality, aka Powermatic, and are willing to spend the dough on a fine cab saw.

Save your self a few steps and buy the Powermatic and then buy a cyclone DC.

Joe

the riving knife could save your life or at least keep you from really getting hurt. I say go for the knife
    lou

..........What Tim, Frank and Joe have said, Plus, the better dust collection pickup via the internal shrouds, etc. on the new Powermatic. I'll just bet these new design features will start some other Brands to start thinking about some redesigns of their equipment, but who knows how long it will take before they show up on the market. I would love to have all three of the new features on my PM-66.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Jeremy,

I would second, third or whatever what Tim and the others have said. I spent a long time deciding which Cab saw to buy and am glad I went with the PM 66. Wish they had the PM 2000 then. The thing was I had my heart set on what I thought was the best (It may or may not be but it is what I wanted) I could have got a Unisaw or a Grizzly and had a great saw but in the back of my mind I would have always thought "I may have saved a few dollars but I didn't get what I wanted." I have never settle for anything and wasn't going to start with the centerpiece of my shop. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Gerald

If it were me I would go with a General. And I've also delt with the pushy salsemen at Laguna and Minimax and they get very irritating calling everyday, they must be on a high commision. And that is the reason I won't buy from either of them since I hate pushy salesman. Also the MiniMax salesman was quite rude to my wife on the phone so then my wife told him off and he hasn't called since.

Sorry Jeremy but I just took your spot in the PM2000 queue. Ordered the PM2000 about five minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    Sorry Jeremy but I just took your spot in the PM2000 queue. Ordered the PM2000 about five minutes ago.
    Let me be the first to congratulate you Rob.

The Delta X5 for $1400 shipped was from Timberline Tools in Utah. You must call to get it - they apparently can't "advertise" a deal like that.

http://timberlinetools.com/category_s/325.htm

Woodworkers Supply also had a similar Delta deal some time back, but I think that is long gone.

Well, I pulled the trigger

On the PM2000. Maybe even before Rob- it was about the same time last night! We'll see whose box shows up first...Thanks for the all feedback!
    JC