Thread: 15" or 20" planer? Which brand?

15" or 20" planer? Which brand?

Looking to upgrade from my 12" Delta lunchbox planer to a decent stationary unit. I have looked at some of the popular brands.......Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic and they all seem to be stamped out the same factory Looked at the Delta 15", and it seems to be good unit but also imported. I dont know if I really need a 20" planer or if the smaller 15" would suffice. I do like the idea of having the extra capacity just in case of a wide glue up, but dont know if this justifies the extra cost of the 20". I dont want to spend more than $1500 and all of the above 20" planers come close to this price. What do you all think? 15" or 20"? Brand preferences?

I have the Jet 15" planer, and even though it does look the same as a lot of others, it works as advertised.
    The Powermatic that Dennis Peacock just got looks really nice. It addresses one of the pitfalls of the planers like mine. Namely, it has a full cast iron table on the infeed and outfeed. No Roller extensions like mine has, that are almost impossible to get set properly.
    I'm a big advocate of bigger is better when it comes to Planers and Jointers. Get the biggest one that you can afford. I don't think I've ever heard someone lament that they wished they had bought a smaller planer/jointer.

Dale, I have the PM Model 15, 15” planner. I have never needed or wished for a bigger machine. If I were looking to buy today I would take a hard look at the PM Model 15S.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dale, I have been looking myself, and there are two 15" planers that have caught my eye. Like Bruce and Mike mentioned, the Powermatic 15S looks like a good machine and has gotten good reports from users. I also like what I see of the new Grizzly G1021X, in about the same price range as the Powermatic. The G1021X comes with indexable carbide spiral cutterheads. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1021X

As I am shopping too, I am anxious to follow this string to see what others say.

Good luck in your quest.

Jerry

I'm also in the same predicament your in. I've been trying to decide for 3 months and been eyeing up the PM 15s and the PM 209 and also the grizzly units. I just cant decide.

I just ordered the PM 15S planer. Spiral cutter head and digital readout for depth of cut. I researched all choices throroughly before deciding on what I found to be a better made machine. I'll know more next Monday when I get the new planer and jointer here in my shop. The PM also comes with a solid cast iron infeed and outfeed table instead of the usual grocery story type rollers for the infeed and outfeed. I found this to also be a nice added touch.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dale, I just picked up a 20" Powermatic 209 for $1,480 plus $1.00 shipping from the folks at Timberline tools. Its an amazing machine. It has a 5 HP motor with 4 possible feed speeds. With 4 cutter heads it produces 20K cuts per minute. I upgraded from a 15" Powermatic which was also a great machine. I do like having the extra power and blade width. Feel free to PM me for more details and pics.

I bought a 20" Powermatic 209 a couple of months ago. I have been very happy the short time I have had it. Dave

Rob Will Guest
    I just bought a big planer and before I ever got it hooked up.....a neighbor who had heard about it stoped by with some 22" glue ups. I vote for wide if you can.

As far as brand names go, most of the 4-post planers are similar machines....(generic)....but sold under various brand names. I would buy a generic 4 post 20" planer and in a few years upgrade the cutterhead to a Byrd.

Rob

I like my 15" Jet

Like Mike I have the 15" Jet. I like the power, repeatability and it's construction, one well built , heavy piece of iron. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Just my 2 cents worth, and there are a lot out there very similar to Jet

Back View_Shop.JPG