Thread: Brass? I think not.

Brass? I think not.

I'm making a name-tag board for the Junior High Ministry @ my church. It will be carted to the beach, among other places, and needs to hold up well to the elements. I ordered these "brass" binder clips from Rockler. Got them in today and my friend the magnet tells me that there is not a whole lot of brass content in these light-weight puppies. Soooo, they (all 55 of them) will be returned in tomorrow's mail, and I'll keep looking. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yea, guess they should advertise them as Brass Plated?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I'm making a name-tag board for the Junior High Ministry @ my church. It will be carted to the beach, among other places, and needs to hold up well to the elements. I ordered these "brass" binder clips from Rockler. Got them in today and my friend the magnet tells me that there is not a whole lot of brass content in these light-weight puppies. Soooo, they (all 55 of them) will be returned in tomorrow's mail, and I'll keep looking. Any suggestions?
    Did you order from the 'pro' catalog with the supposed price break? I tried to order something from it the other day, but didn't have my tax number with me to qualify as a pro, even though they sent me the catalog under my business name based on previous orders. I know they're doing it for record keeping purposes, but I felt like the customer service lady was a bit rude during the 'survey' to determine if I qualified for the 'discount'. So I told her to just order it from the regular catalog. Imagine my surprise (and hers, too) when the price was the same.

KC

You don't suppose that the magnet was attracted to the spring that is inside instead of the outer brass shiny part, do you?

Along with Mac's comment, I would also expect the hinge pin to be steel, not brass. Can't tell from here what the magnet is sticking to.

Dave

Here's another way to check brass content: PRICE. If those hinges were in the $2-4 range, then you're looking at brass-plated steel. If those babies were two to three times that each, then you're talking real, solid brass.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

KC, I didn't know they had a different price schedule. I bought it under my business name... I'll have to check into that. I had a solicitor call the other day and tried to sell me some new fancy concrete sealer for $149.00/gallon; his "best price". After we talked some more, he realized that I was "in the business", and that he could now sell it to me for $79/gallon. A little markup there... (That's OK, sometimes I mark up stuff too!)

Mac & Dave, the whole thing is plated. The magnet sticks everywhere. Also, it is not the quality I was looking for. No big deal - it's just a return, and I will suggest they clarify the description as being plated for the next guy (or gal).