Thread: Woodworking points of interest near San Jose

Woodworking points of interest near San Jose

I have to make a business trip to the San Jose / SF area in a couple of weeks, so I'm adding a few extra days to enjoy the area . I'll probably spend some time in wine country and I'm also interested in recommendations for woodworking points of interest... could be local lumber sorces, galleries, WW schools, etc...
    Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have....
    Roger

WW Pts. of interest in SF Bay Area

Hi Roger,

Check out Global Wood source, 1698 Rogers Avenue, San Jose. Great wood store, lot's of interesting species.
    MacBeath Hardwoods, Foot of Ashby Avenue off of I-80 just after the SF Bay bridge interchange. Huge inventory domestic and imported species.
    Woodcraft Supply, 1121 B Industrial Ro, San Carlos, Ca. also 6044 Dougherty Rd, Dublin, Ca. open 7 days. Japan Woodworker, 1731 Clement Ave, Alameda. 800-537-7820 open Mon-Sat 9-5pm Very interesting store, try out the Tasau Damascus chisels at 2275.00 for 5 a real deal !!
    A full supply of Lie-Nielsen planes and good Festool ISA department. Well worth the time. David Marks Woodworking, Santa Rosa, Ca. 707-526-2763 call for workshop schedule same with: Day Studio Workshop, 1504 Bryant St., SF 415-626-9300. Grew-Sheridan Studio, 3450 3rd St., #5 SE SF Ca. 415-824-6161, Tutorial woodworking classes on Fridays & Sat.

Also a full slate of museums in the area, while in SF proper, check out the MOMA (museum of Modern Art), etc.

If you have the time, travel to Ft. Bragg, Ca., see the College of the Redwoods Fine Woodworking program, the shop is open almost all the time. (Former home of J. Krenov) Also just south in Mendocino on the Main Street there is a retail store showing many of the local artisans work. BLOM = "Bring Lot's of Money" if you want one, but beautiful to see just the same.

Good Luck on your trip.
    Rye Crane

More Info.

Hi Roger,

Forgot to mention the Woodworking Show in Sacramento April 7,8, & 9th. It's about 2 hrs NE of the San Jose area, if you are interested I am going one of those days, email me if you need a ride. ryecrane@email.com
    Also another good tool store is Western Tool & Supply Co, 1238 S. Bascom Avenue, San Jose 408-295-0230; 245 S. Van Ness, SF Ca.415-459-1244.

Rye Crane

here are some of the places we like

Macbeath's in SF and Berkeley.

SF: 2150 Oakdale Ave, SF, CA 94124; tel: (800) 233 0782
    Berkeley: 930 Ashby Ave, Berkeley, CA 94710; tel: (800) 479-9907

Next to Macbeath's in Berkeley is an awesome carving store, they take huge logs and carve out bears. Worth a look if you head over to Berkeley.

Japan Woodworker in Alameda. Also inside of Japan Woodworker is the Woodworker Academy. I've taken a few classes there and absolutely love it. You can check their schedule online and see if it'll coincide with your trip.

Southern Lumber, 1402 S. First St., San Jose, 408-294-1487 - a lot of surfaced wood, but is somewhat pricey. They also have a cool antique woodworking tools section upstairs. Was a lot of fun to check out.

C.B. Tool & Supply, 90 Karina Court, San Jose, (408)436-0707

If you are up here near end of April, there's the woodworking show in Santa Clara
    Last edited by Helen Gee; 03-10-2006 at 1:55 PM.

Roger,

Make sure you drop by The Sawdust Shop.

You can read its interesting story here.

Glad to hear you'll get some time in wine country. My wife and I were there for the first time only recently and loved it. Beautiful country, and sure there's great wine, but oh the food. We didn't have a meal that was less than super anywhere I think, and that includes modest little lunch places as well. Have a great time!

Talking about food. You definitely should try Vietnamese "Phở" (beef noodle soup).

The best place to have Phở is my house . The second best place is this restaurant in Santa Clara (3484 El Camino Real, 408-249-8598). There are other locations in this chain, but the one in Santa Clara is the best.

Great suggestions all!!
    Rye, Helen, Hoa, I'll put these on my list....
    and as to food, I love it all, so I will certainly have to check out Pho!!

Thanks for all the great advice!!