Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loggin' in Griswold. It's a long way from Tokyo.

Loggin' in Griswold. It's a long way from Tokyo.

Stu gave us a little loggin' from Tokyo, So with this morning being absolutley beautiful. I decided to go into the swamp, retrieve a black cherry that the beavers had taken down this winter, and give us a little loggin' from the other side of the world.
    In the following pics we start with a 4' x9" black cherry(choke cherry, here in Ct), and are just trying to see if the 10' section still out in the swamp is worth humping up to the garage.
    First pic is the log on a sled. Nothing fancy, just some scrap wood. We then mill two sides so we can get it off the sled and just use the fence as a reference.
    In this log I really just want the two piece from the center 2 inches. Two one inch thick pieces form either side of dead center. You can see when the log is ripped in half that quite abit of spring force is relaeased in one photo.
    We ended up with 4, 1" x7" pieces. Two are close to quarter sawn, and two are pretty much flatsawn. The bandsaw blade marks in the final pic are the result of having to stop and reposition myself to control this log at various times. It was a little heavy.
    There is a lot of waste, and a lot of dust, but it was a lot of fun. Hopefully this fall those boards will become a tabletop that I have in mind. Time will tell. If nothing else it was a great way to kill the first "spring like morning".
    So what do y'all think, should I go get the 10' section still out in the swamp? or leave it for the beavers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-11-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Cool Mike. Neighbors took down a couple Cherry trees and milled them. Produced some nice wood. Hope you fare as well.

In peace, Todd

3. Now that looks like the easy way to do it!!

Very nice looking little bandsaw you have there!

I'd get the 10 footer, but hey, I'm known to be a little nuts

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Now that looks like the easy way to do it!!

Very nice looking little bandsaw you have there!

I'd get the 10 footer, but hey, I'm known to be a little nuts

Cheers!
    You got that Monster Hitachi with the 3" blade, IIRC, . Now if I had that, I'd tackle the 18" diameter ash that they took down. 12'-14' of clear straight grain. Hey, I might just do it anyway. Half of it fell into the river though, so I'll need some waders. Hmmm..... Do I start the chainsaw, and wade out into the river, or do I start it out in the river?

Beautiful find and man that's a nice bandsaw you have!! I'd go for the rest of it if I were you!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice Mike,
    Whatcha usin for an outfead table
    Can we see some more pix
    Thanks for sharing.
    PS Go for ten.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-11-2006 at 2:50 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hi Mike--
    I got to give it to you, you sure know how to put that Rikon to the test.
    Syd

That looks great Mike. You never did say if you are going back for the 10' section. From the pictures it looks like it would be worth going back.

Thanks for the pictures and ya, what did you use for an out-feed table?
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Nice Mike,
    Whatcha usin for an outfead table
    Can we see some more pix
    Thanks for sharing.
    PS Go for ten.
    Tyler.
    The "oufeed table" is the old outfeed table from my tablesaw sitting on a pair of Rigid Flip Top stands. I really just kinda looked around the garage this morning, and cobbled everything together.
    I did go back for the 10' section. It actually ended up one 7' section and two 4' sections of straight length.
    Here are some more pics of the milling in different stages. Getting the 2nd,3rd, and 4th sides square, then starting the rip down the middle.
    I found that having 4 sides sqaure is easiest. It allows you to reposition the bandsaw guide and not move it again once you start cutting the planks.
    I'm going to get a thin sheet of formica for the next time, and place it on top of the bandsaw table, and the infeed and outfeed tables. There is an awful lot of friction on the table with a wet log, hence the bandsaw marks.
    I'll cut the rest of it tommorrow. If there is something in particular that you would like to see, or would like me to try, and then photograph. Let me know, and we'll do it.
    Humping those logs out of the swamp was some good work, then I helped get an Amish made Oxen cart out of a stock trailer. Whoa was that heavy. Everything was made from 1" quartersawn oak, and the frame was 2" square steel tube stock. Those wood and iron wheels had to weigh 200-250lbs apiece. I'm looking for some red wine and ibuprofen tonite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    ...I'm going to get a thin sheet of formica for the next time, and place it on top of the bandsaw table, and the infeed and outfeed tables. There is an awful lot of friction on the table with a wet log, hence the bandsaw marks....
    Is that an aluminium table?

Wax the P out of before you start, find some "Good" car wax that has a lot of that Carnauba (sp?) in it, works like a charm (on my cast iron table).

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Is that an aluminium table?

Wax the P out of before you start, find some "Good" car wax that has a lot of that Carnauba (sp?) in it, works like a charm (on my cast iron table).

Cheers!
    It's a cast table, and I use a Marine paste wax. I'll try the carnuba though.

Thanks for the tip.

Hey!!!. Wait a minute, the fence is aluminium 1/2" plate, and I didn't wax that. DOH!!

Now, really thanks for the tip.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    It's a cast table, and I use a Marine paste wax. I'll try the carnuba though.

Thanks for the tip.

Hey!!!. Wait a minute, the fence is aluminium 1/2" plate, and I didn't wax that. DOH!!

Now, really thanks for the tip.
    Yep, that aluminium can be rather grippy

More pictures please!

Looking good down there Mike.

By the by - How big a bowl ya want?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey Syd - How's your share of the stuff we stole from Mike coming along?
    Only the Blue Roads

Old Lyme

Mike:

Think I mentioned I was a resident of OL in 1979-1883, in which I converted a 10 acre swamp into a lovely 3 acre pond. No beavers, just muskrats and they undermined all the old swamp maple trees surrounding the pond (crash--another crash--then another --all in 3 weeks) and I had to have the 20 foot root-balls hauled away using huge cranes and mega-trucks. I cut up some of the logs for firewood.

Sold the place for less than I had in it--still there -- 224 Mile Creek Rd.

Kind of miss it sometime here in the desert.

BIll

Very interesting, Mike. Thanks for posting. And ditto Stu....more pics, please.