Thread: Garage door update

Garage door update

Just has to stop and post this photo. I just built my first grill for the garage doors as a test. I have a couple of problems to fix but I decided to bring them around front and stand it in place to see how it looked. And yes I will tirm those 'nubs' back.

I am well pleased!

The lower panels will get beadboard plywood inserted in there. I have decided to use boat building methods and bed the panels in polysulfide caulking, BoatLife brand. Thats stuff is great and should never allow water in behind the panels. I use it on my old wood boat.

Since this one passed the test (LOML approved too ) I am headed back the shop. 3 more doors to rabbit and then start building 3 more grills. Oh, and repair this problems in this one too.

After looking at the photo thinks to self "Self, you need to clean up around that garage! Good thing this house is still under construction or you wouldn't have an exscuse!"
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 03-11-2006 at 1:48 PM.

Looking nice!!!!!!!

What's that car doing in the garage?
    Going to be nice.
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Swenson
    What's that car doing in the garage?
    What else goes in a garage?? Tools go in the shop

Doors look great.
    Do the doors swing into the garage?
    What kind of hardware will you use?

Jeff, you should be proud on how that is turning out!!! That's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see the next installment of pictures...hint, hint. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin Alstot
    Doors look great.
    Do the doors swing into the garage?
    What kind of hardware will you use?
    The doors will swing outward. I made them a bit oversize so I can trim then when I install them. I am sure that the openings are not exactly square. I decided to leave a little and fit them when I installed them. I was afraid if I made them to size that I might end up with a large gap once they were actually on the hinges. You know how things like that happen.

I have looked for hinges for a while and still don't know what I am going to use. The doors are not heavy at all. So far I have only found galvanized barn door hinges and standard door hinges. I really think I could use exterior door hinges without a problem. My front doors weigh more than these do. So 3 hinges per door should be more than adequate. I need to make a choice really soon too.

Also have one more trick up my sleeve. These will have a remote control door opener on them. I have a really simple way to adapt them to a standard garage door opener. I will save the details for latter.

I have been documenting this project with photos. There is nothing on the web I could find about building garage doors like this. So I decided to create a page on it. I need to work on my personal site and get my Woodworking section up.

Hinges

I have found a style of hinge I really like. Anyone know a source? I just did a quick search and found nothing yet. Figure someone knows where to buy them.