Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tormek or not?

I live on the "West Side" of Phoenix near Avondale.

Tormek or not?

Hi All, I looked over the old posts for opinions on the tormek system. I'm a 12 year vetran of woodworking and have progressed through the various stages of shapening. Please note I'm not saying I'm any good at it, just have been butchering my chisels for a while. I went to the scary sharp method about 3 years ago. I don't have any of the fancy jigs or anything and maybe I should before I go off the deep end with the tormek. But time is the most limiting factor in my woodworking. It seems to me that I spend an inordinate ammount of time trying to put a decent edge on my tools. Is the tormek a time saver? I know they are expensive - but what cost time? I need to sharpen mostly chisels, some turning tools and plane irons. I can't seem to find any updated information and thouht I would turn to you all.

I'm all ears (eyes)

Later,

Doug in AZ.
    Failure is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Whitson
    Is the tormek a time saver?

Doug in AZ.
    For sure---no question about it. And very accurate also. I am horrible at sharpning things but using the Tormek my chisels and knives are perfect.

After you get over the sticker shock you will never regret buying it.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    For sure---no question about it. And very accurate also. I am horrible at sharpning things but using the Tormek my chisels and knives are perfect.

After you get over the sticker shock you will never regret buying it.

Allen
    Allen,

Besides the basic setup, what additional jigs do you use with your Tormek. I am also on the fence on deciding to buy one of them and would like to know what jigs you must have and which one are not necessary.

Thanks,
    John

Get the Tormek!!!
    I was on the fence over the cost. I just bit the bullet, and got one. I thought my tools were sharp, until I sharpened them with my new Tormek.

John, (What jigs must you have and which are not necessary?)

That is a tough call because it depends on what you need to sharpen. The basic set comes with what you need to sharpen your chisels and irons. It is mandatory to have the stone grader, of course, and I am pretty sure that it comes with the set sold at Sharp Tools but I do not know about other places. The diamond truing tool is essential. In fact that is the first thing you should do is make sure that your stone is true. Other than that it just depends.

I personally got the planer/jointer knife jig and I think that most would need it. I also got the scissors jig so that my wife would go along with it and both knife jigs.
    The long knife jig is not necessary unless you have knives with long flexable blades like fillet knives. The short one would do otherwise.

I think that the secret to the system is having the proper jigs so that you do not have to depend on skill or luck. At least that is the important thing to me.

I am not a turner so I do not know first hand about that aspect, but from watching the video I think that those jigs are a must also if you do that sort of thing. I am sure that some of those guys will chime in as time goes on.

I thought that the Sharp Tools video (additional to the Tormek video) was well worthwhile but others with more expertise may disagree.

These are my thoughts an am anxious to see what other owners have to say.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-12-2006 at 4:06 PM.

After much mulling around about the Tormek I finally bought one a couple of years ago. In the past I had used water stones and then went to the SS method. Seemed like it took for ever to get sharp chisels and plane blades. Once I had the Tormek I found sharpenning a breeze, I actually could get a better edge than with the other two methods. Now that the money is long forgotten I have to say that I love my Tormek. I actually use my planes now a lot more since the blades are nice and sharp.
    Jim

I have both the Tormek and the Veritas Mk II . Of the 2 I would go with the MkII for chisels and plane irons...It is faster and seems to yeild a better edge...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I've used the Tormek but found that I could sharpen faster on a set of water stones with the Veritas MKII jig. The Tormek was very good for getting the first bevel on old, beat up chisels, but that was about it - and you still had to flatten the backs on a regular stone.

A Tormek would be ideal in a shop where you have the space to leave it set up all the time, and where a number of people will be using it. But it's pretty expensive for a single, part time, user (my opinion).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    ... - and you still had to flatten the backs on a regular stone.Mike

The sides of the TORMEK are ideal for lapping the back of chisels and plane irons. It is much, much faster than stones or lapping plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Whitson
    I went to the scary sharp method about 3 years ago. I don't have any of the fancy jigs or anything and maybe I should before I go off the deep end with the tormek.
    Well, I will take the other side and say buy a 10-15 dollar honing guide first. I just sharpened an old mortise chisel last night. Took 10 minutes to grind a new bevel on the chisel belt sander (have to be careful not to burn it) and maybe 5 minutes on the sandpaper and I was shaving with it. Now that I have it sharp I can touch it up in a couple of minutes. Once I get the grinder set up I can reshape the bevel in half that time.

I am sure the Tormek is fine but I can buy a HECK of a lot of sandpaper for that cost.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 03-13-2006 at 9:38 AM.

Well---this is very interesting. Three for and three against.

WHAT NOW??????

Being from Florida I suggest a recount.

Not sure I can tilt the pendulum one way or the other. I started out with a set of Norton Waterstones but bought the Tormek in order to sharpen my planer and jointer blades as well as my lathe chisels.

I would say for hand plane blades and chisels the water stones with a real good honing guide like the MKII are ideal. Large blades and curved tools is where the Tormek shines.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    After seeing what the LV MK11 can do it has my vote and a space in my shop.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I have the MKII machine.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Go for it!

I have had the Tormek for five years now and I still love it. I also have waterstones. I generally use the Tormek for the heavy lifting, e.g., grinding out a nick or reshaping a bevel. I think I do the fine honing better on the stones. Typically, I will put aside an hour or so every two months and sharpen the kitchen knives and any chisels, plane irons that need it. the tormek does take a while to set up and clean up after you are done, but it gives good results quickly. A big part of the whole thing is that I really enjoy using it - and I haven''t 'burned' an iron in years

Its a good candidate for one of those Woodcraft 10% off days.

Jess