Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Spindle Stock Source?

Curly Maple Spindle Stock Source?

I am in need of at least one nice 3" x 3" by let's say 24" long curly maple billet for my current candle stand project and have as yet been unable to locate something. Does anyone have any suggestions? (It's gotta be dry wood and "match" the tiger stripe that the top and legs are made from. I also really don't want to do a glue-up for a figured piece) Thanks in advance for your collective shopping wisdom!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I don't have any on-line sources, but there are a couple of places in Houston that stock quite a veriety of woods. I could give them a call if you like. If so , I could use a picture of what you have to make sure that what I find is consistant with it.

Ernie

Jim, check out Internet Lumber Co.
    http://www.internetlumber.com/Produc...x?id=11&cid=14
    They don't have anything but 2x2 listed right now on curly maple but I expect they can do to order. Just Hope this helps.
    Corey

A source local to me has tons of billets up to like 6 x 6 in quilted maple, curly, spalted, burl, etc. It is at www.springerlumber.com . I was there on Saturday and Andy had a bunch of awesome turning stock. His website is a treat just to peruse also, with tons of pictures of the awesome wood he finds.

Wish I could help Jim...Everything of mine is green and probably not long enough. There is a place out near the new house that kiln-dries large stock like that. I'll have to find their card and give them a call. I'll let you know what I find.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim,

Give this place a call, http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/. They have some of the most beautiful curly maple I have seen. They sell lumber, but also make gun stocks of highly figured lumber. Last time I was there they had tons of stock of curly maple in the 12/4 and up range.

Chris

Jim....I have a fairly sizable stash of 12/4 curly maple from my days of making Shaker candle tables......I have several columns that are already turned without dovetail slots.....and I have some stock that I could cut , but not until the weekend. Let me know what you need. I've got it!

Greg
    tdog@nauticom.net

Mike Mastin at...

CurlyWoods.com got a shipment recently. I was up there on Friday and saw a good supply. Most of it looked 4/4 and 5/4 but he does have large billets that range from 2-3" thick and 10"x24".

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland
    CurlyWoods.com got a shipment recently.
    I actually contacted Mike (first!) last week and he didn't have anything he felt appropriate. I'll message him again...thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the other references, folks. I'll check them out as time allows.
    --

Hi Jim,

I buy all of my curly maple from Goose Bay Lumber and Sawmill in Chichester, NH. Carl and Lydia Mahlstedt are great folks, and while they aren't cheap, their stock selection is great. They are the folks to go to for both curly and birds eye. The curly is available in both soft and hard maple. I've on occasion bought planks of both 12/4 and 16/4 from them though the thicker you go the less choices they have. www.goosebaylumber.com
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    Hi Jim,

I buy all of my curly maple from Goose Bay Lumber and Sawmill in Chichester, NH. Carl and Lydia Mahlstedt are great folks, and while they aren't cheap, their stock selection is great. They are the folks to go to for both curly and birds eye. The curly is available in both soft and hard maple. I've on occasion bought planks of both 12/4 and 16/4 from them though the thicker you go the less choices they have. www.goosebaylumber.com
    Jim, thanks for starting this thread. I really enjoy finding new sources for wood.

Dave, they put the weekends in Portland back on the schedule (they have been deadheads for a while), so perhaps I can finally get that shop tour sometime in the next few months. When is the next joinery symposium? Maybe I can work that in again, that was really great!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Jim,
    I bought some of exactly what you are talking about a year or so ago from http://www.adamswoodproducts.com/ . I bought 4 pieces of cully maple 3x3 stock to make legs for a table. I haven't used them yet, but we all know how easy it is to put off a project, right?
    Anyway, these were very nice with a lot of figure. I seem to remember calling them and discussing what I was looking for at the time.

Jim

Hey Jim,

If I was looking for something like that I'd contact Donnie Raines, one of the members here. He definitely has some SWEET stuff, and is reasonably priced.

Joe
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Update

An update on this project is posted in the General Woodworking Forum...including pictures of the turned spindle.
    --

Charles Harper, Springer Lumber, Tenino,wa

Charles,
    Saw your post about Springer Lumber in Tenino. Found myself in Oly this morning (sat.), called to make sure they were open. You were right about scads of spindle stock in all varieties of figure. Also, lots of bowl blank stock and some gorgeous flat wood. Andy and Kathleen are super folks. Of course I did not get out of there for free. So glad I followed up on your post for their place. Will go back next time I am in Oly.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA