Thread: Need some help on lathe purchase

Need some help on lathe purchase

I am getting ready to buy me a lathe. I will purchase it probably late next week. I thought I had decided on the new Delta 46-715, but I am wondering if maybe I should think differently. I will have the money to purchase the lathe and some of the accessories I need, but wouldn't have any money left for other things I would like to have. The Harbor Freight lathe is on sale right now for 179.99 and from what I have read, it is not to bad. Now I know that it isn't a Delta or JET, but it would get me started and I figure I will probably get a better lathe on down the road no matter which way I go. I don't post on here to much, but I read it several times a day and I value everybody's opinion and I know that I won't get flamed. Thanks in Advance.

Ray

Blog Entries

When I buy a new tool!

I think about where I will get parts five years from now if I break or lose something. HF sells tools cheap and also sells cheap tools. Where will you order parts for your lathe if you ever need them. I think I would stick with one of the brand names.

Give Ken Salisbury a note or Noah Alkinburgh (who just bought a lathe) and get the phone number of General Industrial. I hear he makes some pretty good deals on lathes and such.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Gis

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    Give Ken Salisbury a note or Noah Alkinburgh (who just bought a lathe) and get the phone number of General Industrial. I hear he makes some pretty good deals on lathes and such.
    You can take a look at the GIS web site or give them a call at 1-800-371-2220 if you are interested in a Jet or a Powermatic. They sell both new and Scratch & Dent equipment. If you ask for Rick Warren (owner) he will work with you on a good price once you decide what lathe you would like.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Hi Ray

Getting a lathe. What fun! A lathe will do wonders for your soul. The impact of what woodtruning will do for you is a hundred times more important than the particular lathe you select.

To start turning wood you MUST have three things:

A lathe
    A shapening system
    Lathe tools (parting tools, gouges, scrapers)

If you haven't turned before, or if it has been a while or you feel less than comfortable in front of a piece of spinning wood you should get some hands on instruction. A few hours with someone who knows what they are doing will pay huge dividends.

Woodturners are a frendly group. They are also a social group. There are 200 woodturning groups across the country and everyone of those groups would welcome you as a member.

Good luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Hi Ray,

I am a noted tool junkie. I have three lathes, none of which are Harbor Freight. I have always been of the mind that you should buy the best you can afford, sometimes even the best you can't afford! A good lathe is such a nice tool to work with!

BUT, in this instance I'm going to go against the flow, and recommend the Harbor Freight lathe for you. First of all, I have looked at it, and while cheaply made, it is obviously very similar to the Jet 1236, and from reports also operates very similar. That would make this a pretty good beginner lathe. Second, most of the expense in turning comes after you buy the lathe. Lathe tools and accessories are a major investment, and if you spend all your money on the lathe, you won't be able to turn because you need some tools to go with it! Third, knowing that you will eventually need to move up in lathes is a good thing. With the Harbor Freight you may need to move up sooner than if you buy a Jet or such, but you will also have less invested before you move up. If a person were buying his "last lathe" I wouldn't recommend the Harbor Freight, but since you know it's just a "learner's permit" then go for it.

If you have the money, I can also highly recommend the Jet Mini! It is an excellent little lathe, and when you move up, you keep the little Jet as a backup, or to take with you when you visit the in-Laws! But remember point two above - if the extra money for the Jet Mini would end up shorting you on the tools you need, then go with the Harbor Freight.

And I second the idea of joining or at least contacting a turning group! There is nothing like hands-on instruction to get you started in turning.

Good Luck!

Scott.

I own the Central Machinery lathe that is nearly IDENTICAL to a Jet 1236. I think the only difference is switch position and speeds.
    I have uses this late to turn a lot of bowls and goblets and my gf Cheri has used it to turn numerous candy dishes that resemble large goblets.
    I would definitely recommend this lathe as a starter lathe.
    it needs to have some weight added to it but all in all works great for me!
    I honestly believe the Jet and Central Machinery are cast in the same factory, of course it could be that Jet sells its seconds to CM.
    As far as parts, CM seemed to have all parts in stock when I called about belt replacement. However, 5 years down the road....will they still be in business. Of couse, I started turning on an old Craftsman lathe then moved up well maybe I should say downsized to a Ryobi.
    LOL
    Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks to all who replied. I have still not decided what I am going to do, but the reply's I got will help to make that decision. I do know that whatever I do, I will be able to rely on all of you for help in the future. I am planning on joining the local woodturners club and have budgeted the money to do so. Thanks again.

Ray,

I too have an HF 34706 lathe. It is the same one that is currently on sale for $179. I bought it about six months ago for $199 and have not regretted my decision at all. As several folks have pointed out, it is nearly identical to the $580 Jet 1236. The differences are minor although some of the Jet handles are a little higher quality. However, performance of the two machines is essentially identical. I have tured on both. I've made spindles, bowls and pens as well as some small stuff.

If you are not sure you are going to like turning, it is a very inexpensive yet very serviceable way to go. I guarantee, you'll quickly spend way more than $179 in tools, a grinder, a chuck, etc. Fortunately, all of these will work with any lathe you might move up to in the future. You can probably sell the HF lathe for about what you'll pay for it if you decide to move up later.

HF has replaced a banjo and tool rest extension that broke on my lathe. The only question they asked was "Is there anything else you need?"

I fully endore the HF lathe if that is the size you are looking for. You might also want to consider their HSS tool set for $29. It is not up to one of the premium brands but certainly is a great value considering one ppremium skew will cost more than the 8 tools you get in the set. I still uuse most of them on a fairly frequent basis.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb