Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I want this bandsaw?

Do I want this bandsaw?

I looked at a used Delta 14" bandsaw today. This one - model 28-276:

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=919

He is asking $200. The machine is very clean, looks new. Everything seems to work smoothly. Owner used it only once to make a framework for forming some metal.

This would be my first bandsaw. I don't have any particular plans for using it, just thinking it might be a nice addition to the shop I am in the process of setting up. Would this saw be a good choice and be versatile enough to not need upgrading later on?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wilson
    Would this saw be a good choice and be versatile enough to not need upgrading later on?
    If by "not need upgrading", you mean "performs well without a bunch of up-front work", probably.
    If you mean "only bandsaw you'd ever need", probably not.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the price.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ah, the slippery slope of bandsaw shopping. This is a variant of probably the most common bandsaw on the planet, and I think you could expect to get lots of good use out of it. There are certainly things you could do to soup it up a bit, but as-is it should serve you well. Of course, if you spend more you can get more powerful 14" saws, but $200 is a pretty friendly entry level for a 14" Delta saw. I would think at that price, you can expect to get all (or nearly all) of your money back in the event you ever decide to sell it and move up to a bigger or beefier saw. If the $200 isn't going to mean missing the house payment, I'd buy it. (But that's just me...YMMV.)

- Vaughn

One can never have to many tools.

.... or guns, fast cars, dogs, ya get the idea.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Rob.

It's a nice bandsaw. Just about every aftermarket bandsaw upgrade/accessory will fit this bandsaw.
    The motor hangs on thebottom and is easy to replace/upgrade.
    It's a good price,definitely. The worst that can happen is that sometime later in the future you buy a bigger bandsaw, and end up with two.
    Looks good. Go for it.

6. I'd buy that for $200 in a Tokyo minute!

If you do decide to upgrad to a bigger saw, you can

a) sell it and get back your $200

b) keep it with a really thin blade on it for doing scroll work

c) sell it on the cheap to a friend/buddy who is just starting out.

If it is everything you say it is, yep, I'd buy it!

Cheers!

Yes you do.

it is a basic saw and will probably be fine for some time, but I think you would eventually out grow it. but for the price it is a pretty safe bet.

Lou

Basic machine, but an excellent buy at $200, especially if it's in the condition you describe. You can always bump up the motor horsepower to 1.5hp later and add a riser block, too. Even though I have a much larger band saw, I'd probably jump on this to use as a scroller in a NY minute...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    We don't have Minnesota Minnutes. But we move pretty fast on good deals. At that price It looks like a great starter machine.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

2-bills! is it in your shop yet? if not why? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

To put it in perspective I just paid $500 for a shop fox 14" new. If I was faced with the Delta for 200 bones or the new shopfox I would be seeing grey in my shop right now. Plus there is no shipping fees, sales tax or most important... no waiting time before you get your new toy.

not to repeat Tod, but if its not in your shop yet, take or borrow a buddys pickup and get er done. I use my bandsaw alot more than I thought that I would thus far and I'm sure that I will get my money out of it.

For $200 and a place to put it, go for it. You will be amazed how many times you will use it when you least expect to. Great for cutting up smaller pieces of wood when it is too dangerous to do so with a table saw. One of the most useful tools you could own.

14. The problem with bandsaws is simply that they are either too big or too small making it necessary to have a couple.
    If you haven't got a band saw then $200.00 isn't too much at all for a small one. You will use it a lot.

Why aren't we seeing the pictures of this in your garage yet? I just ordered the 1 HP version of this saw for $375 and thought I got a great deal. I'd jump on this and you can keep it for small stuff even if you eventually get a BIG one for resawing and such. At that price it will probably be the best ROI purchase you ever make in power tools.

What, still no pictures?