Thread: Looking for a Lathe

Looking for a Lathe

I am looking at getting a lathe for the shop and the total cost of everything needed has restricted me for a while.

What are your opinions of the Grizzly G0462 Lathe? Doses anyone have one?
    I like the 2 hp motor and digital readout. It has a 16" swing and weighs in over 300 lbs.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0462

The price is around $480.00 delivered. I figure with the cost of turning tools and a Tormek for sharpening I will be around $1200.00. Add some additional faceplates and I'm looking at $1600.00 or so by the time I get going. That's the primary reason I am looking at the Grizzly. It's mounted on a heavy-duty stand that also impressed me.

I have looked at used lathes and it seems that a lathe is the one tool most woodworkers keep forever. What’s available second hand seems to be worn out and in need of much repair.
    Bob Nazro
    A Connecticut Yankee
    I've measured this three times and each time I cut it, it's still to short...

Bob, what do you want to turn? Low RPM is 600 which is quite a bit too fast for bowls and vessels with safety, especially if you want to take advantage of the available swing. I'm suspicious of the 2hp specification, too...it's listed as a 120v machine and that would be highly unusual. I'm not saying it's a bad machine, just that you need to consider what you plan on turning and have realistic expectations about what a given tool can safely accomplish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some thought from someone who has had a lathe now for a couple of months
    * The tormek is not a necessity. A cheap 6" or larger grinder is just fine if you are getting HSS tools.
    * Digital readout is nice but completely not required.

I took a turning class in which I used the Jet 14", Jet 16" and Delta 16". I bought the PM 3520B. Having used all of those lathes, I would have been happy with any of them given the size restrictions. I can definitely see the value in the PM that I bought and I am happy with my decision. If price were my main consideration, I would get the Jet 16" without electronic speed control.

Budget, $150 Talon chuck on sale. $120 starter set of HSS bowl turning tools. $60 grinder from the borg. $10 build your own wolverine style grinding jigs. $15 nice wheel for the grinder.

From the looks of that particular grizzly unit, I would say save your money and look for a good used Rockwell lathe. right now on that auction site that starts with E and ends with Y there is a very nice Rockwell lathe that is near enough to you in NY to make it worth the trip. Search for "wood lathe" and you will find it for 400 and no bids yet.

Lou

you think that 2hp is misprint the other lathes have 1/2 and 3/4 hp motors on them.
    Mike

Mike, like Jim, I think the 2hp may be marketing. I remember too many c'man table saws that claimed 3hp and used 110v power. While not any kind of engineer, I understand there are ways to figure output and get different numbers.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    you think that 2hp is misprint the other lathes have 1/2 and 3/4 hp motors on them.
    I've seen similar lathes that was promoted with a 2hp motor,
    but when you read the fine print it says "Maximum developed HP 2"
    When the motor is actually 1HP. Don't know about the Grizzly tho.

Bob,
    Don't forget:

bandsaw
    drillpress
    chainsaw
    measuring tools
    finishes
    sandpaper
    mandrels
    chucks
    chisels
    more chisels
    containers for DNA baths
    DNA
    BLO
    pen kits
    pen blanks
    more chucks

Don't forget that if you don't have the time, the inclination, or the space you are going to have to buy wood.

This is a partial list of all the things you are going to want after you get a lathe.

But, If you just go ahaead and get what you need, like I did when I couldn't afford it, a year from now the money will be long forgotten, but you will still be turning. Have fun and welcome to the round side.

It's one thing after another with this endevour. You only get one life. Might as well enjoy it.