Thread: Over-the-Refer cabinet

Over-the-Refer cabinet

Would someone kindly remind me of the dimensions of an Over-the-Refrigerator cabinet please? Is it the same depth as the rest of the lower cabs (24") or is it a deeper depth that coincides with some standard refer depth?

Thanks very, very much.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Same as other cabinets.

Very kind of you, thanks.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I'm going to say it's up to the customer (or you) to how much of a refrid. "shelf" they want. The several I have done are between 18" and 20" deep which leaves a 8" to 12" reveal from the edge of the fridge. I'd check out the existing or specs of the fridge and then go from there. I think it's a matter of preference and would build it out from the 12" uppers but recess it from any adjoining 24" pantry or other uppers for a staggered look. Why waste good cabinet space? My $.02

I think it depends on the design. Mine is full depth of the fridge which is about 30".

In my design it looks nice in some others it would look like it was stuck out there.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Depends on the customer. Most of mine are 20" deep, set forward a couple of inches. This leaves an air space above and behind the cab for air circulation for the frig.

stock size's

Standard stock cabinets are 12'' dept. for flush mount or 24'' dept. and 30'' /33''or/36'' wide, check ref. width/// also check ref. hight and ceiling to floor. Good Luck!

I feel the cupboard above the refer is relatively useless. Getting to the back of the thing is very hard. When I did the kitchen in the last house we owned I brought the cabinet out from the wall to the front of the refer (the full depth of the refer) and made it for storing trays, platters, cookie sheets and pizza pans etc. on edge. I call it verticle storage. You can either leave it open or put doors on it. It worked out very well. SWIMBO was very happy. Another way of doing it is "IF" you have access from the side of the refer, to use the back part for verticle storage (accessed from the side)and the front for other stuff (accessed from the front). Both parts are easy to get to. Dick B.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Depends on the customer. Most of mine are 20" deep, set forward a couple of inches. This leaves an air space above and behind the cab for air circulation for the frig.
    Clever, Steve. I have made them deeper, but not the full depth of the refrigerator, but I never thought of pulling them out a few inches, leaving a mini-chimney behind the cabinet. The heat build up behind a refrigerator can be big, which is hard on the refrigerator and inefficient on the electric bill. This is a neat solution

I'm building mine 22" or 24"deep x30wide with 3/4 slides it will be a great place for cookie sheets and baking pans,
    Mike

refrigerator cabinet

I like my cabinets built to fit the appliance. I do leave the recommended air space around it.
    Mark

http://www.rakestrawcabinetry.com/q-...des/index.html
    Mark R

I agree with the "it depends on the customer" answer. In all three of the houses that I have owned, the depth was the same as the bottom cabinets, not the same as the other top cabinets.

In my opionion having wider cabinets over the fridge makes for much easier access. Thats what I advise folks who ask me.

Mine is deeper than the rest of the cabinets, almost the same depth as the fridge. There is about 5"or 6" clearance between the bottom of the cabinet & the top of the fridge. The fridge is a smaller one & the space allows for a future upgrade.
    It is also in the corner, so it doesn't look out of place. I think the placement of the fridge in the kitchen layout should be the determining factor.

Ed

14. The wall behind my fridge divides the kitchen and mud room so my over fridge cabinet is three feet deep with doors on both the mud room and kitchen sides. I considered putting a divider in the middle but I just know that as soon as I do I'll think of something big I need to store up there. With doors on both sides it's easy to get to everything in the cabinet from one side or the other.

If you have access to the back side of the wall behind the fridge you might give it some thought.