Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tokyo Log Hog Jr.

1. The Tokyo Log Hog Jr.

OK, I've not gone completely spiny.....yet, and this proves it.....

The Tokyo Log Hog Jr.

OK, the Tokyo log hog has done a great job of slabbing up the
    logs I'm getting, but, I'm bringing home boards with wain on them, the bark, and to cut this off is messy in the Dungeon.
    I've had a good look at the Granberg Mini Mill, and as I cannot get one here in Japan, I'd make one....
    The Log Hog Jr. will ride on a rail, a track, this is just a piece of angle iron.
    I needed another piece of angle iron to ride on the track, but normal angle iron would not work...

Normal angle iron has a gusset, that would not let it ride tight on the track.

I had to make my own. I used flat bar, and some rare earth magnets to hold it in place.

Here you can see the set up ready for welding.

Now I needed a tube welded to the angle iron, and I had to keep it square.

Looks OK so far.

I welded some bridge welds on it to hold it in place.

here is a mock-up with the guide rail on the track, and the tightening tube on the right, as well as the outrigger on the left, the chainsaw bar will be pinched between the two tubes on the right.

2. ......

All clamped up, ready to weld.

OK, now the tightener bar is ready, I tacked on the spacer, and then drilled the pilot holes

Now the main holes are done, I drilled about halfway through the spacer plate.....

I then ground points on the bolts, so they would retain the spacer as they are tightened.

Here you can see how it works.

Here is a view of the Tokyo Log Hog Jr.

Back view with handle

42 Cm of cutting depth! (16.5") I could squeak another inch out of it.
    Now I have to make up the guide board, I have to drill the track and attach it.
    I'll give it a test in the Dungeon before I take it to the Woodlot on Tuesday.

Cheers!

PS, a MIG welder is a wonderful thing

Man, we need your ingenuity to fix our shuttle problems!! That looks like a genuine working piece of equipment. Anxious to hear/see how it works out for you! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

4. Thanks Jim, but I don't do shuttles, I hear the out-sourced that off planet....

I'll give it a spin tomorrow to see how it goes.

Cheers!

I can hear your countryman Red Green now, "Whut? No duct tape?"

Very cool, Stu.
    Only the Blue Roads

stu, are you sure there`s no hillbilly blood flowing through your veins?
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I can hear your countryman Red Green now, "Whut? No duct tape?"

Very cool, Stu.
    Wait just a second there youngster, I've not put the cover on the handle now have I.....

I can FINALLY buy the real stuff here, we used to get this crap made in Japan, it was NOT the same. My wife did not believe me, so I too a 2' length of the crap stuff, and wrapped it around her wrists, then said, "OK get loose" she did in about 10 seconds. I then did the same thing with the real "Duc" tape, and after about 5 minutes and some chewing she was free, she now understands why I pay twice as much for the real stuff

8. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    stu, are you sure there`s no hillbilly blood flowing through your veins?
    Maybe Great White North Hillbilly blood, but I come from a long line of "Bodgers" from the UK!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Maybe Great White North Hillbilly blood, but I come from a long line of "Bodgers" from the UK!

Cheers!
    Ahh!

So you're the Artful Bodger!
    Only the Blue Roads

Improvise, adapt, and overcome..... Were you a Marine in a former life?????

amazing ingenuity Stu!!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Great idea, Stu. I was wondering just yesterday how you were going to handle the edges of your new boards.
    My wife did not believe me, so I took a 2' length of the crap stuff, and wrapped it around her wrists, then said, "OK get loose" she did in about 10 seconds.
    Although I think about duct taping LOML up from time to time, I could never do it and live to tell the story.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Although I think about duct taping LOML up from time to time, I could never do it and live to tell the story.
    Sadly, the TOS prevents us from suggesting some ideas for keeping yourself alive before, during and after this particular thing...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

13. Andy you are killing me

Barry, a Marine? You flatter me, more like a McGyver (Yes I have a Swiss Army knife).

Vaughn & Jim........ I just knew that someone would take the whole Duc tape thing the wrong way

Really the Japanese copy (made in China no doubt) does not hold a candle to the real stuff.

Cheers!

Andy you are killing me

Really the Japanese copy (made in China no doubt) does not hold a candle to the real stuff.

Cheers!
    Hey, Stu, ya'll aren't so "Special" over there, 'cause we can get that High Quality "Break-away" Duct tape here too, (course, we have to make a special trip to "Harbor Freight" to get it).

Good Job on the Sawing Jig, and if you can get a little bit of that UHMW Tape to put on the inside of that Angle piece you welded up, it will slide much easier too.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I have a Granberg Mini-mill which I will try first time next weekend. My logs are big, so I am not sure that the bar (32") is long enough to stick out on the other side when I cut the two vertical sides of the log after having used my Alaskan to make the top horizontal cut.

My question is: Is there a danger of kick-back if the tip does not stick out on the other side of the log during miling?

Regards from Sweden
    Tom