Thread: ...And yet another Oaker. Howdy!

...And yet another Oaker. Howdy!

I guess I'll just start out with introductions. I'm Jace Weber, my wife and I live in N.E. Missouri and I've lived here my whole life. I've done a few different things... I farmed with my Dad and Grandfather, right out of HS, then I owned a gunshop and did commercial ammo loading for law enforcement and competition handgun, mostly IPSC style, for 18 years. I outgrew the whole gun business thing, just got real burnt out with it and set myself up in the furniture restoration business for real. I'd been doing it as a hobby for years and jumped in with both feet. Along with the restoration stuff, we do mirror resilvering and more and more in the past few years, I'm doing furniture commission work. And, we also run a 120 head brood cow/calf operation... you know, just to fill in the cracks of my day.

I've been a member of at The Oak for several years, bounced around a few message boards before landing there, you may have ran into me somewhere along the line. I've gotten a few emails from other Oakers that have scootched in here at Sawmill Creek and decided I'd better show my face instead of lurking. Seems to me you're all a pretty neat bunch of folks here with an extremely deep talent pool, the work I've seen here is amazing.

I guess I'll just wade in here with some pictures, y'all lemme know if I'm doing the picture thing to protocal here. I don't really know how this furniture style evolved here, that I seem to do a lot of, kind of a blend of 1920's-1940's kitchen style. Usually painted white with exposed chrome hinges that'll try your every last shred of patience getting a door gap to look right. Sometimes glass doors, sometimes solid, but always with beaded panels on the sides. And just so you know, everything I build ain't painted. Heh he.

This piece is a double wardrobe/vanity commission, all told about 6' 6" wide by 6' 1" high. Primary wood is soft maple with the monster sized single drawers being Ash with some heartwood figure. The legs were turned from Oak... because, it was there. The finish is Gemini CAB lacquer, which I've just switched to after divorcing Sherwin Williams from my life. The knobs are Jadeite colored glass.

Thanks for not lockin' the door on me.

Welcome aboard, Jace! You do great work...thanks for sharing it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome

Jace, welcome to the Creek! Great work as Jim says, given all you said you do, I don't know how you found the time to build them!

Thanks for the post

Jay

Welcome to the Creek Jace! Please keep posting pictures of you work! Excellent work, I might add!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Jace, glad you found your way over here. Sure is a shame about the oak, I miss it for sure. We sure did have a good time over there and I was hoping that most of the regulars would find their way to the creek. Did you have to use a map or a GPS ??

Nice looking stuff, must have been done recently cause I haven't seen that one before. You need to show that tutorial on mirror restoration that you did over on the oak. I found it very interesting and informative and lots of folks here would like to see it I'll bet.

Chime in here as often as you did on the Oak. I don't want to loose contact.

Jim (Bonyfingers) Hager
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Welcome sir, nice piece of furniture sure would like to see more.

Well it's about time!

Yahoooooooo.......pssst (whisper) just don't talk about stinking dogs. You'll meet a sergeant here who will have you drop for push up's. Was gona give him an eye test, but figured I was in enough trouble as it was

Nice jayce

Im heading off to the supplier in 2 minutes to pick up some white pigmented laqcuer for a whacky closet system. The stuff is tougher to spray than clear over stain. Because every little thing shows.
    Nice work
    WillieO

9. Hey Ya Jace!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

Sure glad you made the trek over!

You just HAVE to show some before and after pics of some of your work, you just HAVE TO......

Not fair to deny these great folks the "HOLY COW" feeling when we get to see on of them "Been in the barn since the 1930s as a chicken nesting shelf" units that you then bring back to life with such care and attention......

Glad to see you for sure!

I too miss the Oak, I hope Sherry gets it back up and runing.

CJ, maybe if you gave that "Stinking Dog" a bath every now and then.....

Cheers!

Well look who the cows dragged in..

Fantastic piece there, Jace. Looks like one CAN put a nice shine to a couple gallons of White Out These smilies are just too fun....

Glad you made it over and hope to see you more often. Great bunch of guys here and like you said, lots to look at & learn.

Welcome aboard Jace. Really nice piece you've done there.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Jace, good to have you around. I'm sure you'll enjoy SMC very much!

Howdy Jace,

Good to see ya come strollin' in.

Wheeew! I was starting to wonder how I was going to keep up to speed on your restorations.

John Christiansen (J.C. in Michigan)
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

Nice work Jace!!

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the warm welcomes here to SMC. I look forward to hanging out here and participating.