Thread: Taking care of older turnings

Taking care of older turnings

What is needed to keep turnings in nice shape for a while, do I just apply new coats of finish every year or so?

It depends on what kind of finish is on it?
    I have been using wipe on gel poly, and Deft lacquer for most of my turnings. If you keep them out of sunlight, the finish should last a long time and just need wiping with a damp cloth for general cleaning.
    I also use the Beall buffing system on most of my turnings. I tell the people that purchase my turnings they can use Johnson's paste wax to bring the shine back or they can bring it to me and I will buff it again.
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Personally...removing any accumulated dust brings them back to "like new" condition. There should be no need to apply additional finish over time. If you have something that you really feel needs a pick-me-up for some reason, re-buffing as Jim mentions should do it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stephen, you just reminded me of this... My sister-n-law just brought me an old bowl to see if I could do anything with it. It had been stained with some dark olive green something. Yep... it really stunk. Took it to the shop, found the center and sanded it all off. Found that it had a clear finish under the stain and took that back up to 600 and buffed to reveal some beautiful cherry.

Ernie