Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New House - Update #10 - Short, With Pix

A New House - Update #10 - Short, With Pix

In the last update I had just gotten the windows roughed in.

Well, I am happy to say that, "She's done". Just in time too. The new happy home owner is coming by midday tomorrow to pick it up and head south to Massachusetts and put it in the exhibition. Got nine pics for your review.
    52.jpg
    This first one is an art shot. I like it, so I'm throwing it out there/here.
    53.jpg
    Windows have been built and are in; siding and trim are on; and the shakes have been laid up. My glue up lamination of the jambs failed due to not enough flexibility, so I bandsawed the arches out of flat stock and shaved and sanded til they fit. That was a long day. Trimming them out was tedious and getting the siding to butt up to the trim wore me out.
    54.jpg
    Nice shot of the front elevation again with the windows in this time.
    55.jpg
    Same shot just slightly to the side.
    56.jpg
    And a close up of my friend,The Tower. I'll never forget that day. Musta climbed that ladder 438 times.

Okay, next up, will be a few interiors.
    Only the Blue Roads

Really nice Andy, I even called for LOML to take a look at it. She was impressed as I am. Oh, for that kind of patience.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

57.jpg
    Oops. One more exterior shot showing the shakes installed at a 10" exposure. Note the vertical course of 1x4 strapping at 16" o/c. This vents the roof which is essential in any cathedral space (no pun intended - although this is where that term comes from). On top of that are 1x8 and 1x12 sheathing planks which act as the nail base for the shakes. There are other ways to vent a roof for a timberframe, but this is how the folks in Miramichi did it, so I did too.
    58.jpg
    Nice inside shot. Got the chair rail installed, swept us the mess the builder left behind, and we're good to go.
    59.jpg
    One more interior shot from a different angle. Couldn't get any close ups of the windows due to various lighting diffugilties. I'll try again tomorrow and see if natural light will help.
    60.jpg
    And lastly, we have a shot from where the choir loft might be if there was one.

This has been fun running this line of threads for you folks. It added some potential for self inflicted punishment in terms of embarrassment if I hadn't met the deadline, but since I acknowledge that I'm a horrible procrastinator I chose to do this to make sure I got it done. It took twenty-two non stop days averaging about eleven hours a day. It will quite likely take twice that time to get all the CA glue off my hands and fingers; and outta my hair.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 03-18-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Andy, I've enjoyed following along with your project...quite impressive and detailed. I'm like Jim, I called my wife over to have a look. She was also pretty amazed.

Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see what others do and the skills they posess. I'm also glad you met your deadline....sit back and relax, you've earned it.

Butiful Job Ando Now I guess you'd better head for the Bomb shelter...

Thanks, Jim and Steve. Oops you too Don

I'm gonna jump off now and go get a monster bowl of White Chocolate Chip and slather it with some Grade A Fancy that was just boiled today! Aint nothin finer.
    Only the Blue Roads

Andy, I have been following this thread sense you started the project, and I must say that this is the finest representation of scaled work that I have ever seen.
    What you have achieved with this project is amazing, well done sir!!!!

That's a mighty fine project, Andy. Wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Andy,

Reminds me of my own home projects - calling it done when 2/3 of the windows are in, 4/5 of the roof is on, etc.. Very realistic!

Thanks for the series, I realize you're a professional and I won't try this at home!

While I'm sure the customer will be thrilled, you, my friend, have run out of bonker avoidance excuses!!!

Dave Fried
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Andy,
    Thanks so much for documenting this process for us. I sit in awe every time a new edition comes around. Since I knew nothing about timber framing, this was very educational as well. From an historical perspective, what would the original framers have used on the roof, since they would not have had insulating foam panels .
    Please keep us in mind for another project in the future.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bravo!

Inspiring work!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wonderful job Andy, you did good. Beautiful work!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice Job Andy!
    You do some great looking work!
    Now get back to turning
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Very well done, Andy. And the "art shot" was especially nice.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I'm almost at a loss for words. Congrats on finishing within the time constraints put forth. Got to be some relief knowing that it's done. Triple scoop is justified and earned.

Question is, will it fit in the transport vehicle?

How about the furniture, pews etc., when do you start those?

What about the bell? In all those 400+ trips up and down the steeple you forgot the bell!!! You should make one more trip up and set the bell. Just think how pleasent the ride will be to Mass. with the bell dinging all the way.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.