Thread: Pine Honey Pot

Pine Honey Pot

Here is a Pine bowl that I finished this morning. This piece was so full of worm homes that you could use it to strain noodles with. I filled the big bug holes with coffee grounds but the small ones I left open. I had pictures of the top and bottom but I could not get them reduced enough to place them. This wood was really dry and it sanded so fast that I really had to watch my self or it was out of round real fast. The walls are about 1/4 inch. I would appreciate your comments good or bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great to me, Ron. You'll have to get somebody else to find something bad in it .

George

PS. How is pine to turn anyway? I've heard different stories. Sappy and soft. What's your experience?

Ron, I am assuming you know what a honey pot is..... I guess there is some resemblance to a traditional honey pot but this one is much better looking than most. And if you did not fill all the holes it could get a little messy . Nice work!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Very cool box Ron, never seen pine with those colors in it before.

Corey

Very nice form and wood, though I have to agree that the holes probably don't make for a good honey pot design. I too am surprised by the coloration of the pine. What kind is it, and is it spalted?

Very nice. The second picture looks like it is dedicated to a English football player.......

Cheers
    Gordon

Nice going Ron. I'm with Mike...A Honey Pot to me, means....well...not Pooh Bear! I like wormy wood....so much character!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nice looking honey pot Ron. Likewise I have never seen pine with that coloring. Great job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work Ron. I like that form.

Ernie

Great pot Ron Great form.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I thought that the honey pot would get some interest. I do know what a honey pot is because as a kid we had them in our house. Am I telling how old I am. The color in the pine is caused by the pine beatel that bores into the tree and causes a fungas to grow. This causes the blue color that you see in the pictures. I did fill the larger worm holes with coffee grounds but I left the small ones open and as you could bet this bowl will not hold wated or any other liquid. This pine was very dry so all of the sap that is normal in green pine is gone. The wood turned very easy because it is so soft, but the soft wood is a problem when you try to sand it because if you are not careful you sand away any elements that you put into the work. Thanks for the comments and turn one for me>>>