Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Good Morning Everyone,

Yes'sir-ree......another weekend has come and gone and it's been raining here almost like what Ol' Noah and his Ark experienced.

Friday night was working on making a bookshelf for the LOML Jr. Got to plane and joint some nice Florida "Yew" wood that was compliments of hurricane "Hugo"....remember that one?

Saturday was a lazy day with a late start as I was just wore out from the previous week at work. Helped son #2 turn his entry for the Bonkers about Bonkers Contest over in the SMC Turning Forum. That boys getting down right good at basic turning skills.

Sunday was church as I played bass for both worship services, rest Sunday afternnoon, and it is always family night on Sunday night.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well...my woodworking this weekend was limited to yard cleanup, including running the chipper for a few hours as well as cutting up a fallen tree with the ol' Stihl. I had planned a couple hours in the shop for Sunday, but I ended up throwing the internal drive belts on the chipper and it took me two hours to disassemble the beast (first time...), re-seat them and reassemble. Getting the PTO shaft off took awhile and you can't remove the cover over the drive system until it is off. (The chipper is a PTO driven WOODS 5000 for the back of the Kubota)

Saturday was pretty much used up by taking the family and Nastia's friend Emily to lunch and the movies (Shaggy Dog), although I did get time to revise my SketchUp! sketch of the Thos Moser "New Century "sideboard/hutch I'm planning to eventually make for our great room. Friday night...our now-traditional "family night out at a restaurant"...we took the girls to Outback. They ate well, surprisingly, but complained about the smoke wafting from the bar all the way to the very back of the non-smoking section. I'm so glad they hate it, but it does make it difficult to eat out. At any rate...it was a nice change from Perkins... I just wish they would eat something more than chicken fingers and chips. (FFs)

I don't know how much shop time will happen next weekend as we have a meeting with our architect to review his initial sketches for our proposed home addition project as well as Alesya having a birthday party to go to for a classmate. But who knows? I might get lucky. At least I'm getting to attend the local AAW chapter meeting tonight...John Jordan is demonstrating and I'm looking forward to it. (I bought my Stubby from him) I haven't been to a meeting since last October...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-20-2006 at 9:30 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smile Weekend Accomplishments

Saturday, I milled down some 4/4 & 5/4 red oak for 3 baby cradles I'm making and cut a walnut tree and got a 13 ft log and an 8 ft log, between 15" and 22" diameter. Didn't realize how heavy those two logs would be, but was able to load them on my trailer with my son's and grandson's help and get them home. Used my engine hoist to remove from trailer at home after dinner at pizza hut with my two sons and families after church on Sunday, before resting the rest of the day.

Larry

Biggest part of my weekend as expected was centered aroun MY NEW GRANDSON!! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33158

Yesterday I did manage to get the yard cleaned up pretty well, good thing since Dennis's rain has made it down my way, we needed it just hope it don't forget to stop.
    David

shop coming along, indecisive about workbench

I finally got all of my "pegboard stuff" hung and after deciding on a configuration for running DC to my new Unisaw, got it most of the way done--and to boot, managed to place an extra floor sweep and a new DC inlet for my planer as well. Double !!! Man, if I keep at it, my shop's actually gonna look presentable someday! (And I'm sure, given the natural scheme of things, we'll decide the next day to sell the house. )

What I didn't do, that I had hoped to do, was to come to a decision about a new workbench. I just can't make up my mind on this one. The ones that WWS and Griz sells look OK, but I'd love to build one. Trouble is, if I build one I know it'll be a slow process and that's time taken away from other projects. Plus, if I build one I want to wrap the top with a frame made from two contrasting woods joined by through dovetails, yet that means making the actual top from MDF or some other composite that won't expand and contract. Hmmmm......

Mark

Am most happy to report that I got 'er done.
    Only the Blue Roads

Saturday I did the brakes on my wife's car and changed the oil in her car and my truck. Also drove down to Toledo to get some 80 grit paper for my drum sander and return the 180 grit I accidentally picked up earlier in the week. Pretty much shot the day except for an hour or so in the shop before Family Movie Night (Cinderalla which I slept through.)

Sunday I spent most of the day in the shop and finished construction and staining of the Oak Night Stands.

Was a very productive week end, I finally cut all the components for the cyclone, made easy work of it using a pair of electric shears. I'll have pics tonight.

I started and almost completed a sheet metal break using Stu Ablett's break as a guide but I had a problem drilling a pivot hinge hole in a peice of 1/8" steel.

A first for me this weekend was MIG welding! I finally did it after much angst. They are not very pretty weld joints but they are strong and after grinding down they dont look to bad. I'll have pics of that tonight as well.

I received much help from fellow Creekers about drilling into steel and speed and drilling fluids all after ruining 4 drill bits, live and learn I suppose.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Lots of good family time. Mom is comfortable and a hoot I'm sure it's the drugs talking. I've never seen her this ......"uninhibited".
    A little creeker visit time. Worked with the MK11 and home remuttling.
    Played a little music this weekend. Working my way through the TV series The Shield.
    Judged a chile making contest in the hood. We went from home to home. A little praise and graze and then met at the block captains' home for balloting, dessert (I made a Pie) and catch up . Met the new kids on the block. great way to see each other after a long cold winter.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I had a super weekend in Austin, Texas. I spent a day and a half at Mini Max. Myself and three other gentlemen attended a shaper workshop taught by our SMC Member "Sam". We had "hands on" shaper training with all kinds of new exotic shaper tooling. Beside the benefit of learning a bunch about my shaper, I made three new woodworking friends. All three of them are much more advanced than myself.
    The only downside of the seminar was I spent way too much money on new "toys" tooling than I should have. As usual, the folks at Mini Max where first class.

Brian

No shop time for me. I took Wed thru Fri off, coupled that with the weekend.
    I stripped a wall paper border and the popcorn ceiling last weekend. then primed the ceiling and border area, re textured with the knock down method to match existing walls, primed again, then started painting. 2 walls are khacki color, and 2 walls will be red if the paint ever covers. I even primed the walls and the red ones a dark pink tinted primer, but it is just going to take 2 or 3 coats. Took Friday off and drove to Houston for a dog show, and came back that night. 9+ hours driving to be there for 2 1/2 hours. NOT my idea of good vacation time. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I got some shop time this weekend and managed to get a few things done. I repaired three old dining room chairs that were coming apart. Nothing a little epoxy wouldn't fix since none of them have much value.

I also got a good start on a birdsmouth gaff to go with the new sails for the boat.

Last thing yesterday was to clean the shop to make room for the new drill press that will be delivered tomorrow. (I got interuppted while typing this by a call from the freight company).

Sorry, no pictures of the gaff yet.

On Sunday I applied some finish (beeswax + mineral oil, from LVT) to these cutting boards that I've been working on. This really pops the colour. The Cherry, in particular, looks very different.

The wood is maple, cherry, walnut, and jatoba, in different arrangements in each board
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well,

We went to San Francisco and Sacremento for spring break last week, so shop time was limited.

We spent time with the BIL and his family, went bowling, tubing in 8 feet of snow, watched it rain for days, then went to SF and hit Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Golden Gate Bridge, the Wharf, toured a submarine, road the trolly, drove down crooked street and visited China town.

I also got to tour a house my BIL is framing in SF, it is owned by the Gambles of Proctor and Gamble. Over 8000 square feet about 2 blocks from crooked street. The have one heck of a view from their roof, GG Bridge, Alcatraz and the Bay Bridge. He figured the house was going tom cost about 20mil when done. We also met the architect. I can tell you from looking at it, it is a royal pain to build one of them in the city. A GC's nightmare.

I did get to work some on my sander rebuild, I wound up rethreading for RH threads and grinding a bolt down. It seems to work fine, though I am thinking about finding someone with a metal lathe to do a better job of milling for me. I spent most of Sunday trying to locate a 5/16 LH 2 1/2" bolt with no luck. I still have some adjustments to make on setting the motor alignment, replacing a power cord that had a nick in the shething and then final assembly and test running. It is looking good though.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Worked on repairing a dresser my wife found on the side of the road. In great shape, except for the top draw rail, which I replaced, and a piece missing from the lower right rear corner, which I am rebulding.

Reason my wife wanted it was because it is the exact match for her daughters dresser and she (the daughter) can use it for the new baby expected in July.

Sunday we had a "Family Prom". Those of our daughters who are out of high school and no prom to go to were feeling blue, so the LOML decided we would have our own prom. So everyone got dressed up and came over for dinner and games. The boyfriends and son were not that happy about dressing up, but the daughters took care of setting them straight! Anyway, it is always great when all the kids are back home at the same time!

Have a great week all!

Mike