Thread: Early bowl

Early bowl

I got a Jet Mini lathe last year and have been tinkering around with it for a while. I did some turning in high school, but this is the first bowl I have completed with the mini. I got lots of hints reading this board and the old Badger Pond.

The wood is Sweetgum, it came from a neighbors yard, I got three logs that I let sit too long. Then cut into bowl blanks and put soem old poly on the ends - then I let them sit too long. I roughed out this bowl and left it to dry. By the time I got to rough out the next blank, it was too late, they were punky and rotten.

I had always intended to make something for the family that gave me the wood - unfourtunatly, they moved back to California. Two days before they left I realized that this blank was the only possible thing to give them, so I finished it. It will be sent to them to remember the house they lived in for 4 or 5 years. I like the way it came out.

Finish is mineral oil and beeswax.

Please feel free to cirtique honestly, the nieghbors who have seen it have all stroked my ego - I'm looking to improve.

The small collet in the photos is 1 3/8" long to get an idea of size.

Glen Smith
    PS, I hope the pictures work, this is my first time posting pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

forgot a profile view

Whups, one of those was supposed to be a profile - this one should do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job

Glen - nice looking bowl you ended up with, after all the trouble

I love the look of spalted wood for bowls - I've done some maple but I like the look of that sweetgum.

Different shape than I'm used to seeing also - I like it.
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 08-11-2003 at 11:49 AM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Thumbs up Wow!!

Very, very nice! Never thought of using sweet gum, but that looks great. Your neighbors gone to the west coast should love it.

Bob

Triangle Woodturners meeting on Thursday, Aug 14

Glen,

Bring it to Thursday's meeting of Triangle Woodturners of North Carolina (TWNC) for our "gallery". Every meeting, members and guests bring turned pieces for a gallery on a sideboard. We take pictures of the items and include those in the newsletter. We especially love to welcome people who are new to woodturning.

TWNC meets 2nd Thursdays (7 pm - 9 pm) at the Craft Center on the North Carolina State University (NCSU) campus. Send me a private message or an e-mail if you need directions.

For more details on Triangle Woodturners, visit this URL:

http://www.trianglewoodturners.com/

Cheers,
    Bob
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker