Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Project: Print Stand

Finished Project: Print Stand

I just finished this project and it contained two firsts for me. Figured wood and mortise and tenons.

As a relative newbie I like to pick projects that add to my repetoire of techniques, and this one fit the bill on two counts.

I am also learning, by doing and by reading the advice in this fine group, that a project starts with wood selection. Also, that no matter how well you cut and assemble, if you don't scrape and/or sand well enough, the project won't look good.

So, take a look please. Constructive (but gentle) criticism is always welcome.

Ron Robinson
    Last edited by Ron Robinson; 09-17-2006 at 6:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Robinson
    I just finished this project and it contained two firsts for me. Figured wood and mortise and tenons.

As a relative newbie I like to pick projects that add to my repetoire of techniques, and this one fit the bill on two counts.

I am also learning, by doing and by reading the advice in this fine group, that a project starts with wood selection. Also, that no matter how well you cut and assemble, if you don't scrape and/or sand well enough, the project won't look good.

So, take a look please. Constructive (but gentle) criticism is always welcome.

Ron Robinson
    Ron, the fit and finish of your stand is beautiful. I like the way that the Shaker style spindles look. I guess I have to ask an embarrasing question though, just what exactly does a print stand hold? I'm familiar with blueprints, but then I thought that it was for holding picture prints.

In any case, I like the way it looks!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Ron.

I admit, that I have no idea what a print stand is, but I really like that one.
    The wood is gorgeous, and all of the joints look well done.

What technique(s) did you use for the M&T joints? What worked well? what didn't work so well?

Whenever I finish a project, which is seldom, I always come back a week or so later and look at really closely, and ask myself what would I have done differently if I were to do again?

With what I see in your print stand, the only thing I would be tempted to change are the mitered corners. I would have tried to carry the contrast of the horizontal, and vertical lines in the center of the piece to the top and bottom rails. Hopefully tying the top and bottom to the middle.

It's a personal thing though. Plus, I suck at mitered corners.

It's a very nice piece. I would really like to see a pic of it in use. It's beautiful, and you should be very pleased.

Great wood selection Ron, and I like how you used it. I'm with the others...what's a print stand? An action shot would help. Whatever it is, ya done good.

- Vaughn

The stand is supposed to display a print, or any framed piece of art or photograph. I think I'm going to keep it simple and find a nice black and white photograph that has a vertical subject matter to go with the design of the stand.

The mortises I did on the drill press with a Forstner followed by a clean-up with a chisel. The tenons on the table saw.

Ron

The stand is supposed to display a print, or any framed piece of art or photograph. I think I'm going to keep it simple and find a nice black and white photograph that has a vertical subject matter to go with the design of the stand.

The mortises I did on the drill press with a Forstner followed by a clean-up with a chisel. The tenons on the table saw.

Ron
    Very cool. An entire stand to display a single print. That's really going to be a stunning visual.

very, very nice. the wood is just beautiful and the jointing looks perfect. i hope you've got a 'great print' to display in there!
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

What finish did you use??

Ron, the fit and finish look great. Excellent choice of wood. Your really made the maple "pop" with that figure. Very nice.

The finish is BLO, followed by three coats of de-waxed garnet shellac (1 lb. cut), and then I rubbed it out with wax using 0000 steel wool.

Ron

The finish is BLO, followed by three coats of de-waxed garnet shellac (1 lb. cut), and then I rubbed it out with wax using 0000 steel wool.

Ron
    sorry, its 20 question time..

How many coats of blo did you use? I actually working with tiger maple right now.

Ron -

Veerrry nice. I like the style of the piece as well as the execution.

Nicely done.

MW

Great stand Ron, if you pick your print well, nobody will notice it (the print that is).
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

Yalza! Wow...that's some wonderful looking figured stock in that piece, Ron! You did a great job in both the construction and the finish. Awesome!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Robert,

Two coats of BLO with two days in between. I don't know if that much time is necessary, but that was how long it was until I could get back to it. The shellac I padded on. I used a cloth wet with shellac wrapped in a cloth damp with alcohol. I rewetted the shellac rag when the finish got "dry" during application.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It means alot coming from a group like this.

Ron