Thread: My Cousin's State Fair Project

My Cousin's State Fair Project

This past winter I helped my 11 year old cousin Evan Walk make an oak table for his 4-H project. We worked on it for several evenings in my shop. Each session, we reviewed the functions of many of the tools in the shop. It was a real learning experience for both him and his father. Evan learned a lot about woodworking and craftsmanship. His hard working farmer father learned a little about patience. Together, we all had a really enjoyable experience.

The table was patterned after a pair of tables that have been in the family for a long time. My grandmother's brother made them long ago from a cherry tree that came from my Grandparents' farm, right next to their garden. I have one of the tables and Evan's family has the other.

The table turned out very nicely for Evan. He and his table were selected to represent Shelby County at the Illinois State Fair. Last night he called me to tell me that his project had been judged Superior at the State Fair. Needless to say, he was very excited.

He plans to use his table as a stand for their parakeet cage. The only drawback is that last week, one of their cats ate the parakeet.
    JB

Thumbs up

Congratulations to Evan. Sounds like you have a budding woodworker on your hands. Evan must be at least as proud and happy as the cat that ate the parakeet!!

Bob