Thread: SCMI MiniMax SC3 10" Score Saw

SCMI MiniMax SC3 10" Score Saw

I've found this beater 60 miles away on ebay #7602028066

So what do you guys think of this saw? Anyone have any good or bad information about the older Minimax line of Tables saws I should be aware of. Or should I just forget about this one and go onto the next one.

I'm just in need of a new table saw and decided to wait a month or two to see what I come across used before I drop the cash on a new General 650.
    Last edited by Corey Pionk; 03-22-2006 at 5:10 PM.

cory, your link will be jerked as soon as a mod. sees it.....for the money it`s a heck of a deal. nice saw....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

The current version of the SC3 W sells for $5400. It's small machine, but certainly could work well in a shop that does not need the longer slider throw available in the larger models. You can call Mini Max in Austin to find about about parts availability for these older pre-"Mini Max USA" models.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mini Max Saw

Looks good; might consider driving over to check it out before bidding. But that sliding table and the auxillary table look very good.

Good luck

john lawson

Corey,
    For what it's worth, I was always concerned about the support swing arm configuration on this model because I believe the double-jointed design puts a serious twisting force on the primary member. Other than this issue, it seems like a good deal. If you are not putting a lot of heavy sheet goods across it, it won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles
    Corey,
    For what it's worth, I was always concerned about the support swing arm configuration on this model because I believe the double-jointed design puts a serious twisting force on the primary member. Other than this issue, it seems like a good deal. If you are not putting a lot of heavy sheet goods across it, it won't be a problem.
    I can understand you surface concerns about the outrigger support arm but I have the same outrigget table, and support arm on my T50n sliding shaper. Surprisingly enough it is quite rigid. I regularly throw very large mantel tops on it to shape/cope the ends. Most of my mantel tops are in the 3" thick range (solid wood) and have measured as much as 1'-6" x 6'-0" so they sure ain't light.

If the SC3 is in good shape it is a pretty good little format slider.

David Less Guest

slider

Corey,

I just set up a shop a few years ago, I bought a PM66 (like it very much). If I knew what I know now I would definitely save a few extra bucks and at least get the MM slider instead of the 650. I don't feel you would ever regreat going that way. The sliders have much more to offer and are much safer.

My $.02

David

Thanks for all the replys I'm waiting for the owner to contact me so I can go take a look at it. Now if no one bids on it till then I will be able to take a look. But there seems to be some parts missing like the crank for the tilting mechanism, the stock clamp and the over arm blade guard which are not pictured but maybe available. But I will keep you posted