Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning a Coffee Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    I found this on Google. If you read down far enough it sounds like maybe an answer. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRA...nsils-msg.html
    Pete
    I found it!! Thanks Pete.

"I have heard people having good luck with West Systems 2
    part epoxy resin,"

Epoxy is great idea. It is inert once cured and is commonly used in water tanks on boats. Just have to double check it resitant to heat. I know that is it's one weakness but will have to check on it's temprature limits. Might have to try olive oil too and see what happens. Worst case it is ruins the taste of the coffee.

Back when I was in the Navy, a lot of guys had coffee cups from the Phillippines. If I remember, they were made from "Nara" ? wood. I don't Remember how they were finished. But I don't remember anyone dieing from them, although that might explain the crazy things some of us did in our intemperate youth!

I checked on the durability of epoxies to heat today. High limit of 100 degrees F is all I could find.

I did want to maybe warn you a little....or at at least ask....Isn't there something wrong with using walnut? Not that I know for sure...But I know it makes horses sick.

Not that I care whether horses get sick or anything.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

The oil in the wood is has antiseptic properties, sedative effects and best of all it also acts as a laxative.

I would be comforatble using walnut for bowls and cutting boards, however if anything would cause problems it would be a drinking cup.

Sorry guys, the walnut was a joke. Now it might work but I wasn't serious.

I just took a break from the report I was working on and strolled through the station and all I have right now is some spalted walnut and a bunch of green pecan. I can cut some sweetgum but that stuff is so wet! I might try the pecan this weekend.

I really need to sand and prime the garage doors tonight before I start something else. But.......

Jeff - If you read deeper thru the link that Pete posted there's a note from someone who deals in epoxy all the time and was most adamant against epoxy and wooden utensils and consumption. It's right down near the bottom of the page.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    I just took a break from the report I was working on and strolled through the station and all I have right now is some spalted walnut and a bunch of green pecan.
    Hmmm Pecan Flavored coffee. Maybe there a market for turned coffee cups at Starbucks..

Take advantage of the properties of white oak and put several coats of CA inside. One way or the other, we all go to see the Maker! Phil
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Duffy
    Take advantage of the properties of white oak and put several coats of CA inside. One way or the other, we all go to see the Maker! Phil
    Since CA is water soluable, it'll probably dissolve with each cup of coffee. You might want to lay down a new coat of it in the cup after each use. Just a suggestion.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Since CA is water soluable, it'll probably dissolve with each cup of coffee. You might want to lay down a new coat of it in the cup after each use. Just a suggestion.
    Then how come it won't wash of of my hands once it dries.... ,

hmmmm...maybe you should soak your hands in your coffee Don.
    ~john

I read somewhere that is someone is allergic to walnuts that they should use walnut bowls or cups. Also on don't let someone use a bowl with walnut oil on it. We had a gal that almost died she was so allergic to walnuts and ate from a bowl that had been finished with walnut oil. Nobody really gave it a thought at the time.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You've sparked a thought. I might glue up some Corian this weekend and try it. The handle..........hmmmm...I'll have to play with that idea.

I agree with Andy about not finishing. I'd use hard maple or cherry because of the tight grain. Pecan does get shiney, but has big pores. Sand and raise the grain several times before your first use and if you really want to tighten the wood up, rub it down with the top of a glass coke bottle. I wouldn't worry about discoloring the inside with the coffee...just dip the whole thing in the pot from time to time and it will all be the same color.

Ernie

Andy, I saw that after I posted it. I have to wonder if they allergies are not related to uncured or epoxy dust? I went to the Gugeon Brothers site and they don't say anything about it. But a search revealed there is USDA good grade epoxy. I don't have any at the moment so it doesn't much matter.

What about hickory for the wood? I forgot I have a stick of hickory I got for doing some handles. I ended up using a tuba four and liked them so I have that log laying there. That the only other wood I have at the moment. And some small plum limbs for chistmas ornaments.

Well some cypress but.............