Thread: new grizzly 490

new grizzly 490

They must have a whole bunch of 490s in stock. I ordered march 17th regular service, overnight freight wanted to deliver march 21, I managed to delay to march 22 to get lift gate service. Driver helped get up driveway (hill) and had no bill for lift gate so I tipped him. Anyway, base looks fine and i've got to wait on top for help, and rain to end so hope it too is good. NO PICTURES yet, still moving stuff out of garage to new workshop so soon.

Thanks for all information on this and other tools. This place is great.

Congrats Terry. Did you say that the braces for the motor were ok? How did they end up packaging the braces/motor for shipping?

I'm "green" with envy.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

griz 490

motor is attached to braces and 2 wooden supports run perpendicular, one along each side and wood is screwed into where motor supports meet side of base (I'll attempt to take a picture tomorrow as this reads clear as mud). also a wooden support with strapping seemed to be holding the motor in tension had to cut straps to remove and gain access to interior of base.

Congrats Terry on the new Jointer!!!

I was going to purchase one also but the motor supports are going to hold me back. The mounts look to weak to be holding up that big motor and I'm afraid it will bend over time. Unless someone can change my wifes mind because I showed her someones picture of the bent braces and she laughed and said your not buying that. Even her first thought was the braces looked a tad bit weak.

Congrats, Terry on your new jointer. I've had mine a little over a month now I'm very happy with it. Be sure and give us a follow up when you get that bad boy up and running. I'd really like to see the pics on how they braced the motor. BTW I didn't see youe initial post but welcome to SMC.

6. Don't worry about those motor supports. They are plenty strong!! I have beat the crap out of my 490 for a month now. It runs every day and on a few days has run for a few hours or longer. It has eaten oak, rock maple, black walnut, cherry, hickory and today some white pine. It does not grunt or even change pitch with some of that hardwood and most of the work it has seen is face jointing. Today I removed the back panel and everything is fine.

This is one tough machine and I got one year to see if it is going to die or not

Michael

Corey,

I have had the 490 for a while also and I agree with Michael, the motor mounts are "plenty strong". Don't let that hold you back.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Corey,

I have had the 490 for a while also and I agree with Michael, the motor mounts are "plenty strong". Don't let that hold you back.

Allen
    I'm glad to here a user of the machines opinion. For the price I may pull the trigger but I think I will wait until it is available with the spiral cutterhead. I can always beef up the braces anyway and for the money I will be saving I can by a nice planer. I have seen other Grizzly machines and there built like a tank so why should this one be any different. So how thick are those brace on the machine in the pictures I seen they looked thin.

Corey, the problem with the struts bending is one that arises during shipping not regular use. Grizzly didn't anticipate some of the lateral forces that would arise (or vertical if the unit is placed on its side) during shipping and they are now bracing those struts better. They may also switch to a thicker strut for the next run. But is very hard to imagine the struts bending during use in the shop.

I just received mine yesterday and will be putting it together this weekend. Whoo hoo. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

Michael

pictures of shipping supports

2 pictures of wooden shipping supports - hope this helps

the other shipping support i cut off - its a fiber banded to wood support to hold motor stable during shipping.
    Last edited by terry hansen; 08-17-2006 at 8:07 PM.