Thread: Bamboo

Bamboo

I'm not sure this is the right place for this one. I was just having a chat with the neighbor shop, he's a woodworker that does mostly custom cabinets. Apparently he's so busy that he would like to store some in
    the part of my warehouse that I leave empty for doing vehicle graphics. Anyway, I went over there and saw that he has bamboo in veneer and also in a "hardwood" form. I've never seen it before except as flooring and wanted to know if any of you have used it. It's very attractive, and he says has become popular for kitchen cabinet doors. He uses the veneer
    to reface, the boards for actual doors and cabinets. The boards are like plywood with a real wood core, he says it comes 3/16" for paneling and
    what I saw there was 3/4", which he says is about $300/4x8 sheet.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Kewel stuff..."Grass" plywood!!!

Yes, bamboo has become quite popular in recent years, although most of the examples I've seen have been in flooring...made the same way as the plywood your saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ouch $300 for a sheet... just make sure that you measure 3 times and cut once
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Sure it wasn't $30 a sheet? $300 I wouldn't pay for a SOLID sheet of bamboo!

Bamboo

I decided to look it up for the brand he gets it. Definitely close to $300/Sheet for 3/4", the 1/8" is $120.

http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/P...wood/index.cfm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

My only experience has been with flooring and I was suprised by how difficult it was to cut, actually I should say rip, it crosscut just fine.

Bamboo

I just got this info from the manufacturer, turns out their offices are right here on Mercer Island.

"Teragren panels are available in ¼” and ¾” as a solid stock or with a cross laminated bamboo core up to a 4’ x 8’ dimension. Our veneer selection includes a solid bamboo 1/8” 4 x 8, as well as a 1/42" paper-backed veneer in both a 48" x 98" and 17” x 98” sheet. Edge banding in 7/8" x 500' rolls and solid stock lumber are also available. Special order panels are available up to a 3” thickness."

They are sending me a sample kit free and now I'm looking into laser
    cutting/engraving it so will re-post on that forum.

Sammamish, WA