Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning a Coffee Cup?

Turning a Coffee Cup?

After the little goblet, glass whatever thingie I was thinking about making a coffee cup. Turning it is farily straight forward. Just not sure what wood... most anyting would probably work.

But what finish would you use? Since it is hot (coffee), whats a good finish? Or is this a bad idea? It sure would be cool.

Hate seeing a post not answered so I thought I would just
    say that I have no idea about the type of wood or finish for
    drinking hot coffee!! .

Why don't you hack one out real quick making no effort to make it look nice and see what happens? Be sure to report back, I would love to know myself. I would imagine some mineral oil would be helpful but that the cup won't last forever. Still I wouldn't mind making a new one every year.

I did this with a quick cutting board and put it in the dishwasher. Keep in mind this is a user cutting board and it looks like it, but after years of harsh use and the bottom rack on the dishwasher there are no cracks or warping.

I want to see you turn it with the handle on it...

Don I am like you. I would be interested in seeing how a handle is done on the cup.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

make it out of cherry then there`s no need for yuppie coffee....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    I want to see you turn it with the handle on it...
    Me, too..........
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I think the heat from the the java would likely destroy the finish in fairly quick order - and regardless of what finish you used. So.... Why bother with a finish? Just go au naturel!
    Only the Blue Roads

I found this on Google. If you read down far enough it sounds like maybe an answer. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRA...nsils-msg.html
    Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Jeff see if you can get your hands on a copy of Spring 2005 issue of Woodturning Design magazine. There is a six page article in there on a one piece coffee cup with handle. Looks like a great project, I do plan on trying it someday but seems there are too many projects ahead of it. The author doesn't mention what finish to use so looks like it might be trial and error. Please let us know how you make out, GOOD LUCK...

I asked one of the teachers at my school to ask her husband who works at Sherwin Williams if there was a safe finish. He said nothing they had was microwaveable and he unaware of anything else they had that would work.

Pete

I called General Finishes and the guy said the General salad bowl finish will work if you build up coats. He also said microwaving is not an option.

Pete

I wouldn't finish it at all. It will develop a rich brown patian on the inside anyway - just like the real ones (whether you clean it or not). Lars

sleeve the inside?

Jeff -

How about sleeving the inside with stainless steel, glass, or ceramic? Turn the inside to fit your favorite drinking vessel. i have no idea how to finish the outside. Good luck.

rick
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

Seems like I may have found something new to try.

I have a couple of ideas for handles, but yes they are a seperate peice. I have some pecan that polished up really nice in the shop. Might try that, I don't think I would poison myself.

HEY! I have some Walnut! The coffee wouldn't stain it and it wouldn't stain the coffee (noticably anyway) OK, may have to try it warn the wife it start acting weird.... well more than normal it might be the coffee cup.