Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Jointer Woes

Grizzly Jointer Woes

Hello everyone,

I received my G0452 jointer a day or two ago and finally got time to unpack it. I'm sorry to say I got hit with the bent struts problem many are experiencing. It looks to me like it really needs to be supported better when packed because a decent drop could cause this. There was no evidence of any shipping damage and the boxes seemed to be packed very well.

I called Grizzly and a woman was very helpful and I'll get a call early next week to decide what to do. I'm hopeful that it will be resolved quickly.

Time to test out their great customer service reputation.

I'll keep everyone posted...

Michael

GrizG0452.jpg

Red face

That slide base looks kinda flimsy to me...Sorry that your is bad and you won't have a chance to use it this weekend.

I am still trying to resolve my bent cabinet return problem, and I received a note in my mailbox today that a certified letter from Grizzly awaits my signature. So yet another day of their 30 day time limit they imposed to return the bent cabinet goes in the books, and they have my credit card info waiting to charge me for the replacement cabinet. This stinks to high heaven. They should be gracious in their rectifying of a situation I (we all) had nothing but inconvenience from. But I guarantee that as soon as I find out what they want me to do with the bent cabinet i will take care of it ASAP. Because that is the way I do things.
    Good luck. I hope you like jumping through hoops and putting your credit card in a hostage situation.

4. Jointer Woes

Sorry to hear you also got a bad one. I was seriously looking at the Grizzly's (G0490) but not anymore after everybody has had the same trouble.

Sure Customer Service has taken care of the problem, but in the mean time, Grizzly is still shipping them without correcting the root cause. I'd hate to spend that much for a piece of machinery only to have to wait for replacement parts, and then there is the effort to rebuild it.

A person shouldn't have to rebuild a new machine. That would take all the joy out of it for me.
    Steven

Sure do love my new Powermatic.!!!

Sorry to hear about the several troubles folks are experienceing with their new jointers. I hope that they get resolved quickly.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Based on the number of reports like this; 'sounds like and Engineering Change Order (i.e., a design tweak) is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    Based on the number of reports like this; 'sounds like and Engineering Change Order (i.e., a design tweak) is in order.
    If it were me, I would remove the strut-ology and measure out the bolt pattern on the sides and the frame pattern for the motor and then take a road trip down to the local steel fabricator or supplier. Get them to cut a slab of 1/4 inch thick steel plate to fit in there. The outside of this steel shape must fit the jointer so its gotta be kinda accurate. Nice to have the steel dude use a plasma or laser cutter to do this (i.e. worth the upcharge to have them cut the cookie shape for you). Then drill and tap the holes as needed. Prime, paint and install. Forgive me for posting this but its the Tim Allen in me getting out again.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

newton was right

F=MA and that seems to be what was not taken into consideration

best wishes
    lou

I got the Grizzly G0586 8" Jointer w/2 HP Motor back in December and it arrive in great shape except for a little paint damage. I am sorry you got a bent one!

I got a new Jet Planer/moulder for a birthday present and when we got it home and unpacked it, the darn planer looked like it had been dropped off the boat!! I called the store where we bought it and told them what we saw when we unpacked it!! There was a long pause from the manager of the store. He said to bring it back and he would try to make it right. We got the planer back to the store in about 1 1/2 hours and they saw that the planer was in BAD shape!! I had gotten the open stand planer but all they had available was the closed stand model to replace it with. They asked me if that would be OK? HUM.......I had to think about that for about,.... oh.... 1/1000th of a second!! . I said yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    If it were me, I would remove the strut-ology and measure out the bolt pattern on the sides and the frame pattern for the motor and then take a road trip down to the local steel fabricator or supplier. Get them to cut a slab of 1/4 inch thick steel plate to fit in there. The outside of this steel shape must fit the jointer so its gotta be kinda accurate. Nice to have the steel dude use a plasma or laser cutter to do this (i.e. worth the upcharge to have them cut the cookie shape for you). Then drill and tap the holes as needed. Prime, paint and install. Forgive me for posting this but its the Tim Allen in me getting out again.
    While we're at it Dev, we might as well just build it from scratch.

It is frustrating. My 0490 is still sitting in my garage mostly packed up. After buying a crowbar I spent 40 min trying to uncrate the replacement base. I'm about 1/2 way done. Then I have to get someone to help me remount the motor (really a two person job). Not to mention getting at least 3 people to help with the bed...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein
    While we're at it Dev, we might as well just build it from scratch.

It is frustrating. My 0490 is still sitting in my garage mostly packed up. After buying a crowbar I spent 40 min trying to uncrate the replacement base. I'm about 1/2 way done. Then I have to get someone to help me remount the motor (really a two person job). Not to mention getting at least 3 people to help with the bed...
    Rob you are so correct. And judging from the number of these units that creekers have bought and the number of units that have had shipping problems with I personaly think that Grizzely needs to look at some serious design changes. I would be willing to bet that of all of the ones bought by creekers there would be more damaged one then not. I can understand if 1 or two were damaged in shipping but this seems like an epidemic.

This just reinforces my personal belief of not buying any major tools if I can't go and pick it up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    That has been my thought for some time, I am willing one could pick up a piece of 3/16" flat steel for probably $30.00 or less and be a lot better off....my 2 cents

Dev,

My only concern is that the angle iron that is welded to the base is also bent. If it were just the motor support bars, that would be a fairly easy to repair.

I have no experience with Grizzly before this, but I'm getting a bad feeling this will not be an easy thing to rectify. I'm not aware (yet) of their policies or procedures, but Craig's comments above are not very encouraging.

However, I've heard they have a very good customer service reputation (one of the reasons I purchased from them) and am optimistic.

I was told to expect a call on Monday so I'll keep a running log here of how they do. This will influence my future purchases.

Please keep the comments coming...they are really helpful.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Steven J Corpstein
    Sorry to hear you also got a bad one. I was seriously looking at the Grizzly's (G0490) but not anymore after everybody has had the same trouble.

Sure Customer Service has taken care of the problem, but in the mean time, Grizzly is still shipping them without correcting the root cause. I'd hate to spend that much for a piece of machinery only to have to wait for replacement parts, and then there is the effort to rebuild it.

A person shouldn't have to rebuild a new machine. That would take all the joy out of it for me.

According to a recent post from Terry Hansen, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33512 , the problem HAS been taken care of. And it looks like the problem has been dealt with just fine. Thanks in part, according to some of Mr. Balolia's posts, to all who posted the issue in the first place. I'm not going to hesitate to get one (when I can find room in my utility trailer for it )
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.