Thread: Workbench

Workbench

I am not sure how useful sketchup is for elevation studys.
    Here is a workbench study that I have been trying to complete
    using the sketchup software. The design tool is a little tricky.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Corvin, it looks like you've done a pretty good job to me. Are you looking for 2D elevation views? What would you like to see as far as views are concerned? If you'd like, I'll show you how to make the views you want. If you'd like to e-mail your model to me, I'll make the views and send the model back so you can see the settings. I'll send you my e-mail address via a PM.

Corvin that sketch looks similar to the workbench that I built. I was my first major project and I learned a lot from it. The one major differance is where you have your drawers I made mine so they would slide through so I could open them from either side and then I put a 6" wide door with shelves on one side and 2" doors on the other side. I have a shelf about 12" down from the top and under that is where I put the slide through drawers. I put locking casters on it because I use it behind my TS for long pieces. The workmanship on it is terrible but it does the job and I'm happy with the way it turned out. It's very useful.

DK

corvin,
    Are you seeking comments on your design, or just on the use of Sketch UP?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Dave/
    I think I have figured out how to get the 2D views, it just seems like it
    takes a lot of time to precisely create a scaled 3D image. Maybe practise
    will make it easier. I find it easier to draw in AutoCAD right now.

Alan/
    I am really looking for tips on how to be more efficient at sketchup and
    create scaled drawings to view in 3D. Once I have a design a little more
    firmed up I will post for comments. Do you use 3D tools for design reviews and part of your design process?

Do most people import scale drawings to start or just start drafting in
    Sketchup? My perspective is that it is a good tool for viewing 3D images
    but 2D drafting tools are faster for looking at details and elevation
    proportions?

Corvin, scale is a tricky thing in 3D especially if you have perspective turned on. as far as looking at the relationship of different parts to each other in the drawing, it works pretty well. You need to consider the field of view settings you're using though because that can confuse matters just like using different lenses on a camera can.

As far as drafting or doing the initial drawings, I prefer to start right in SU. Every CAD drawing I've ever imported into SU needs a bunch of clean up work it seems. I'd rather just get started with the drawing in SU. With the inferencing engine and construction geometry you should have a pretty easy time of it.

If you haven't already done so, check your Units setting in Model Info under the Window menu. If you are working in inches, set it to Fractional. Set Precision to 1/64" and deselect the box next to Enable Length Snapping. Those things might help. In metric set to Engineering, millimeters, precision to .000

Also remember that you just start typing lengths in the VCB after starting to draw or Push/Pull something. You can enter your dimensions in inches in either decimal format or in fractional format.

Let me know if there's something specific that you'd like to know about. I might have already done a tutorial on it.