Thread: Shelix/Helical Cutterhead

Question Shelix/Helical Cutterhead

I looking to upgrade my 8" DJ-20 with a new cutterhead. Is there any difference between the Byrd cutterhead or the helical head sold at Sunhill Machinery? Has anyone dealth with either company? Is there an advantage to either head? Are they hard to install? What should I do with my old knives and cutterhead?

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim dePrado

I'd regard the Sunhill unit with suspicion, whereas one never hears anything but good things about Byrd.

If I'm not mistaken, the ones Sunhill sells ARE Byrds.

Jim, for obvious reasons, I'll not publicly discuss my experience with one of the vendors mentioned, nor the design of their cutter-head. However, I do own the Shelix head by Byrd and it happens to be on my DJ-20!!! All I can say is, be prepared to wait a while, as it seems Byrd just can't seem to keep up with production!!! BUT, it's worth the $$$ and the wait! On my own "short list" of equipment upgrades is a Shelix for my 15" planer. 'Nuf said!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

I have the Byrd and it is a purchase you wouldn't regret. No more fussing with knives and regardless of what the reviews say, I believe the cut is better than knives, especially on figured wood. It takes about an hour and a half to install and requires average mechanical skills. The jointer will run quieter. As far as the other head, I would keep it in case you ever decided to sell the jointer or you could sell it on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Owen
    John,

I have the Byrd and it is a purchase you wouldn't regret.
    Hey Dan, you really don't have to convince me!!!

(Jim, I think he meant the message for you, and furthermore, I couldn't agree more!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Sorry John, I meant to say Jim. If I recall, I think you convinced me. Oh well, just another case of zigging when I should be zagging.

John Russell Guest
    I bought the Byrd head from Sunhill -- works fine.

Talking Thanks

Thanks! I will get on the horn when I get home this evening and order the Byrd. Do I need to get anything with it? New bearings? I plan on getting extra knives.

Thanks again,

Jim

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend
    If I'm not mistaken, the ones Sunhill sells ARE Byrds.
    That's very interesting. Are the specs the same or are they Sunhills ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    That's very interesting. Are the specs the same or are they Sunhills ?
    Cliff, that vendor sells both, ones made by Byrd, as well as some other "spiral" cutter-head. Totally different designs.

Jim, you may also want to check with Wilke Machinery on the Byrd. I believe that going other than direct with Byrd will save you a few bucks. Wherever you choose to go, be sure that the vendor isn't charging your credit card until the unit actually ships!!! I know for a fact that, when Byrd is behind in production, they don't charge the vendor until the unit actually ships!

As far as the bearings go, you can either, order up fresh bearings to install on the new cutter-head or, remove and re-install the ones from your stock head. (A 3-wing gear puller will be necessary for removal of the stock ones.) Swapping the actual cutter-heads is a piece of cake!

NOTE: Not affiliated with Byrd or Wilke, other than being a satisfied customer!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

I called Byrd today about a cutter head for my Powermatic 180 planer. They said it would be a 10 week wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    I called Byrd today about a cutter head for my Powermatic 180 planer. They said it would be a 10 week wait.
    Doesn't surprise me, Chris. Heck, if I had the $$$ for one, I'd be willing to wait half again as long to get one for my 15" planer!!! YES, that's how much I like that head!!! Until you run some expensive figured wood through one, you just don't know what you're missing! In the long-run, I sincerely believe a guy saves money by saving both, time and material! It's just an awesome product.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

I bought the Byrd head from Sunhill It works great, took about 8 weeks to receive but I expected that after reading from others.

Rob Will Guest
    Jim,
    I have a Byrd head in a 24" planer. Under full load you can stand next to the thing and talk in a normal tone. They usually include a package of 10 extra carbide inserts along with a torx driver.
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images