Thread: Spanish Cedar...keep your cigars in my garage...door?

Spanish Cedar...keep your cigars in my garage...door?

I decided to go with Spanish Cedar for the garage door....it was a little less than Mahogany....lghter in weight which is better for the motor ...and very stable...it has a very natural look and nice grain... Now you can use the entire garage...(or just the door ) to keep your cigars fresh...It won't be here for about 4 weeks and then I will post the pics.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

where did you get it from, Mark, and how much did yo ugfet and what did it cost you, if you dont mind my asking, of course?

I will be making humidores and will need plenty of cedar.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Julio,
    I ordered the door from Crown Door locally and they supply the entire unit so I don't know the cost of the cedar... The 18' x7' door was $6300 installed Hond. Mahagony was $1000 more... I would guess it is in the $5 per bf range
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

OOHH, sorry I thought you were ordering the wood to make the door. My missunderstanding.

I'd liek to see pictures of the installed door when you re done. I have a small block of the spanish cedar I plan onm using to make some veneer. I hope is is aromatic enough.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Mark,

A local hardwood supplier on the SF Bay gets $ 4.00 bf for 4/4 and $ 4.50 bf for 8/4.

Its a nice alternative to Hon. Mahogany though a little grainier. I believe there are some 5 or 6 varieties of Spanish Cedar.

Some of the pieces I've handled are a bit resiny from the woods tannin oils. If you feel this residue, wiping down with a solvent might be advised, depending on your choice of finish and compatibility with the solvent.

Cheers,

Kent

I'm not in your geographical area. MN here. But I ran into a bunch sitting at a window manufacturer. They had ordered a sample and were sent a container of it by mistake. Anyway they decided they had no use for it and were selling it for 1.00 a foot. It was all 7-9 ft lengths and 6/4 and 8/4 thicknesses. Great widths too. Some as much as 24" none under 7". I bought up 500 bf of 6/4 and 200 of the 8/4 and still have most of it left. So check around...never know what you might find.

I built a series of garden benches from Sp. Cedar, and for 6 months I could taste the dust. Blegg!!!! But, it has help up well for the purpose.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Mark,

Sounds like a great deal. Only one caveat, SC often leaks sap and resin, months to years after being dried and machined. This may cause a problem with any finish applied to it.