Thread: Generator problem. Ideas?

Generator problem. Ideas?

Power outage, you say? Hey, no problem. Just go out to the garage, crank up the portable generator bought for just such an event, plug in a 12ga. extension cord, plug in the 'fridge and sump pump...What? Me worry?

YES!!!!!

The generator started on the second pull, just like it always does when I crank it up every month or so to keep it in working condition. The problem was that the blasted thing wasn't putting out any electricity! It ran beautifully, but no "juice!" I checked the outlets with my meter and found only 3 volts there. I took apart what I could looking for loose connections, but found none.

This is a 3500w Campbell-Hausfield generator, about 6 years old, but it has been used for less than 4hours to actually power something. The last time I actually used the power output was about 2 years ago, when I ran a small portable compressor for an hour or so, at which time it worked perfectly. This unit has never been exposed to the weather and, other than a trip to a buddy's house to power his freezer for a bit, has never been out of my garage.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pack
    I checked the outlets with my meter and found only 3 volts there. I took apart what I could looking for loose connections, but found none. Any ideas as to what is wrong?
    3v~ output pretty much says the field has lost its residual magnetism. Check you owners manual to see what it says about "flashing the field." You'll probably need a battery to flash across the windings (polarity sensitive, BTW), and then it'll instantly be back up and producing.

The residual magnetism loss is mainly due to disuse. Once you get it going, start it once a month or so, and put a small load to it. The compressor, or a power tool of some sort will do - just something to keep it 'exercised.'

Generator problems

Joe,

Jim is right on target about flashing the field. If you didn't find anything in your owners manual, here's what you do providing your generator has brushes. Pull the back cover off so that you can see the brushes and the slip rings, the brass rings the brushes ride on. One of the brushes should be grounded, this one will be negative and the non grounded one positive. You want to lift the brushes off the slip rings, you will probably have to take the brush holder loose to do this. Be careful, as the brushes have springs on them and are somewhat fragile. Now, with a couple of wires, one to each post, tied to a battery, a 6 volt lantern battery or a 12 volt car battery will do, and the generator not running, touch the wires to the slip rings, negative to negative and positive to positive. Hold them there a couple of seconds. Reassemble the brushes and cover and start it up. Voltage should be restored.

If your unit does not have brushes and your owners manual does not tell you how to flash the field, I suggest you take the unit to a shop that specializes in generators.

BTW, I make my living servicing and repairing generators.

Good luck,
    Bob

Preventative Maintenance

I have a 5KW generator and a couple years ago I ran into a similar problem, mine wouldn't start. Had it serviced and found out that the gas had plugged up the carburetor - no stabilizer! Now I do two things, first I use stabilizer for ALL my gas powered stuff and two I crank up the generator every 2-3 months. I use Microsoft's Outlook which has a "Task" feature. I have a task pop up every 60 days to remind me to fire the thing up. Pain in the touch? Ya, but so is not having the sump pump or refer work!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lasley
    Joe,

Jim is right on target about flashing the field. If you didn't find anything in your owners manual, here's what you do providing your generator has brushes. Pull the back cover off so that you can see the brushes and the slip rings, the brass rings the brushes ride on. One of the brushes should be grounded, this one will be negative and the non grounded one positive. You want to lift the brushes off the slip rings, you will probably have to take the brush holder loose to do this. Be careful, as the brushes have springs on them and are somewhat fragile. Now, with a couple of wires, one to each post, tied to a battery, a 6 volt lantern battery or a 12 volt car battery will do, and the generator not running, touch the wires to the slip rings, negative to negative and positive to positive. Hold them there a couple of seconds. Reassemble the brushes and cover and start it up. Voltage should be restored.

If your unit does not have brushes and your owners manual does not tell you how to flash the field, I suggest you take the unit to a shop that specializes in generators.

BTW, I make my living servicing and repairing generators.

Good luck,
    Bob

Wish I'd have known that, I have one with the exact same problem. I would have put you to work last April ;-). At least now I know how to fix it, I figured it was something serious. Thanks Joe for the question and Bob for the fix. I got mine used and never had a manual for it.

Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

thanks

Thanks to all for the information. I will look up my manual and give the "flashing" a shot.
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."