Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weed Whacker Recommendations

Weed Whacker Recommendations

Last spring my McCulloch gas weed whacker (string trimmer, to the trademark police) bit the dust, and I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement. It'll soon be time to whack back the growth on the hillside in our back yard. I need to trim back the winter's worth of grasses and weeds before the fire season arrives. The area in question is probably about 10,000 sf, most of which is on a 30° to 45° slope. I've read that straight shaft trimmers are easier to use on a hillside -- my old one had the curved shaft.

I only use the trimmer once a year (maybe twice, but unlikely), so I don't want to spend big bucks, but I still want to get a reliable trimmer. (My old Mac was about $80, and it lasted me 10 years or more.) Any suggestions?

- Vaughn

Vaughn I bought an Echo 2100 or 2300 in 2000, have used it weekly for edging sidewalks and beds without any maintenance costs.

I put a new fuel and air filter on each season and reset the plug and it's good to go.

It spins .95 string, not the largest available but pretty stout. I changed the head to accept pre-cut 8" pieces of string and don't have to fuss with winding the dispenser head anymore.

As an alternative, maybe you could rent one of those wheeled "industrial strength" string trimmers for occasional use on the hillside.

Best regards, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Elmanual
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Elmanual
    That's also a good way to work on your golf swing

Vaughn,
    I bought one of these a few years ago and it will definitly do the job.

I won't need it in AZ so I'll make you a good deal on it if your interested.

PM me if your interested.

It's electric but hey it start the first time every time. Stop by Home depot and check it out. Its heavy duty.

Steve, that's not a weed wacker, that's a weed beater! Especially when doing around fence posts.

I've had a couple of Echo's which have been good to me. Straight shaft? I prefer'm. Run you about $300 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lewis
    Steve, that's not a weed wacker, that's a weed beater! Especially when doing around fence posts.

I've had a couple of Echo's which have been good to me. Straight shaft? I prefer'm. Run you about $300 though.

Weed beater
    Yes. I growed up with one of those babies, or several actually.

I still keep one around when the gas job won't start.

I sure like my straight shaft Stihl!

Vaughn..........I had my old one give up the ghost 3 years ago. I bought a STihl.........gas...........no power cord to mess with! Gave a little more but it is a dream to start and it is truly much more impressive than my last gas one!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here is one time --- and the only time---- when I will recommend against a Stihl. There is nothing wrong with Stihl weed whips.

However, Shindawa, is hands down the most comfortable, best performing weed whip I ever used. I have a Shindawa professional and love it.

There are Shindawa's home versions as well. The gas mixture is 40:1 which makes it compatible with Stihl's 50:1 mixture.

Shindawa.

It just sounds good

Joe

P.S. No matter which one you buy, go with a straight shaft...
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 03-29-2006 at 10:21 PM. Reason: saw another post reminded me of the straight shat advantage

Vaughn, I have to vote Stihl. I bought one last year to replace a Ryobi that constatnly broke the line. The Stihl can use .090 or.105 string and it is amazing how much better it works. Of course it should, it costs about 3 times as much. I think mine is a model 80R. Also, it is really easy to load the line.

Eddie

I have a Homelite with the straight shaft that was relatively inexpensive and has worked well. It will be on its 5th summer this year. I did junk the bump feed head and switched to one where you put in pre cut pieces of line. I only use mine a few times a summer, but when I do, its for an hour or so since I have so much to trim around.

Vaughn - I picked up an Echo GT200R at the borg one time when we were down to the big city. Reasonable cheap and very reliable. I use it for about an hour a week to do edging and then each fall I whack 3000 SF of flower beds which takes about three days. Ugh.

If I were to buy again, I get the long straight armed model. The short curved on can be tough on the back.

Big lesson I learned was the string. The borg only sells light gauge garbage. Go to a real store and get the heavy duty stuff. Lasts forever.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Elmanual
    weed whacker.jpg

Yeppers, already got me one of them, funny guy.

Don, I appreciate the offer on a good deal for the electric, but there's no way I'm gonna drag 200'+ of extension cord up and down a hill and around trees.

The Stihl and Troy-Bilt got good ratings with Consumer Reports, but so did Echo. Anybody have any opionions on the Troy-Bilt 4-cycle models? I know I can get the Troy-Bilt models at Lowes. I'll check around for local Stihl and Shindawa dealers and see what's available locally.

Thanks -

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    weed whacker.jpg

Don, I appreciate the offer on a good deal for the electric, but there's no way I'm gonna drag 200'+ of extension cord up and down a hill and around trees.

- Vaughn
    Vaughn,
    It cordless. the battery is rated for up to 1 acher. I have ne vet had the battery go dead...

No spark plug,
    No gas to mix,
    No cord to pull (Starter)
    No cord to string.

more power. ho ho ho ho