Thread: What Circ Saw for cutting plywood

What Circ Saw for cutting plywood

Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around much the RentAShed business has been taking up my time!! I have the EZ guide, so I have the EZ base on my dewalt saw. It works great with the guide!! However, the base can make using the saw w/o the guide a pain when trimming plywood flooring or the like. The grooves in the base can ride the edge of the plywwod causing the cut to be poor.

Anyway, what saw would you guys suggest for plywood cuts? We have to trim the plywood of our floors after it has been layed. We would also use this saw to free hand cut rafters and to cut roof sheeting. (We don't use the guide because the straigtness of the cut doesn't matter). We also use the saw on a ladder to trim rafters and to trim vertical siding.

Suggestions or questions?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jeff,

I like my PC325 with auto brake and very light weight too. May want to swing by a borg and see how one fits your hands.

Good to see you post again.

jeff, my vote goes to a mag 77 for freehand work....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Hi Jeff,

I just got a Bosch at Lowes and they had a $25 store credit when you bought this saw a couple of weeks ago. I don't know about now but I like this saw a lot. It's quiet, light and will soon receive my EZ base. Good luck! Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Jeez!, I'd think this would be a no brainer for a Cheesehead.
    Only the Blue Roads

Any worm drive!

Richard

Thanks for the input guys! This thread convinced my father to take back the makita right blade he bought. We will be getting a worm drive.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Good Choice, but then as a I have used my Skil 77 for 25+ years, I would recommend a wormdrive saw over a sidewinder no matter what the job was. I will admit that alot is personal preference (ok stubborn is another description)
    Chuck

Isn't a 14 lb worm drive overkill for cutting plywood? I would be thinking more along the lines of a 6.5" trim saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    Isn't a 14 lb worm drive overkill for cutting plywood? I would be thinking more along the lines of a 6.5" trim saw.
    ken, for some of us short-armed folks the extra reach a wormdrive offers is really nice...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I really like my PC worm drive pro. I also like the FesterTool saw, as it's a bit lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    Probably, but we will also use it for cutting rafters as well as many other uses. Cutting 3/4" green treat plywood can require some torque. I love my dewalt saw because you can't stall it. They are heavy, but they work hard. The main reasons we are going with a new saw is that the base for the EZ guide on my dewalt makes it hard to use for other tasks, the visibility of a left blade saw will be very nice, and finally the extra reach of the worm drive will be nice when cutting the sheeting products in half.
    Jeff Sudmeier

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    ken, for some of us short-armed folks the extra reach a wormdrive offers is really nice...02 tod
    Hmmm... good point. I have about a 24" reach from shoulder to palm, so cutting sheets always means laying them on the ground and crawling for me.

I'm still running my PC447 framers saw. Can't kill it!!
    I like the composite base plate. Its light weight.

I don't think I could be happier with any saw than my PC 314, 4 1/2" worm drive trim saw. It's a little workhorse.

-- Kevin