Thread: $tarrett Combo Squares, Good Price?

$tarrett Combo Squares, Good Price?

Well, I was away from the computer for about 10 days, and when I got back last night, there were 198 threads to peruse. Sorry I missed Bill's picnic, I'll try to make it next year. Warren, glad to see your post, I sent my photos to get processed today, and I'll post some when I get them back. I'll look forward to seeing your finished desk.

As I sort through the mail, the Woodcraft flyer gets my attention. They have Starret combo squares on sale, and I have lusted after one for a while.

So...

The 12" combo square is $65.50 (square only)
    The 6" combo square is 52.99 (square only)
    The 4" combo square with centerhead is 71.99
    The centerhead for the 12" square is 26.99
    The protractor head for the 12" square is 72.99.

Woodcraft tends to be a little high, plus I have to pay tax, so I usually just buy consumables and stuff on sale there.

I remember reading somewhere that there were different types of rulers with these squares, but I can't remember which one was better and why. It says all rules are graduated in 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8 inch markings.

So....

What should I buy? Does anyone really used the protractor head? Centerhead? Do I get a 4, 6, or 12 inch ruler?

Do I really need to buy one of these? Or will it just collect dust in the workshop?

I have a couple good squares, but no 45 degree angle.

Any info on Starrett combo squares, their uses, etc, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

I have the 12" with the combo head and the 6" with the straight head. Both are incredibly accurate. I was fortunate in finding them used at a ReTool that had no clue as to the value...stole them both for a total of $60 and they were in "like new" condition. You just can't beat the etched rulers
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Starrett combination squares are wonderful, but you have to know what you are buying. They have several types of heads and rules. They come in different combinations. I would do a search on the internet for Starrett to look for different combinations and numbers at the machinist sales companies. I would check their prices and then I would check ebay. Last winter I got a new 18" chromed rule with a hardened steel head w/the centering head for $65.00 on ebay. I use the 18 inch a lot. I also have a 12" and a 4" both with the hardened head and chrome rule. I got both at a pretty good rate at ebay (I think that it was $38 and $20 respectively). Good shopping and work safely whatever you decide.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

squares

I purchased my from http://www.mscdirect.com

MSC Industrial supply is reputable and the prices seemed good. I'm far from a tool snob, but the starrett square really performs well and feels good in your hand. A real pleasure to use.

William

Martin, before you run off to WoodCraft with money in hand, go to the McMaster & Carr website http://www.mcmaster.com/ , and search on "Starrett square". You will see that there are several different combinations of the same tool. Ruler made of two different metals, and heads made of cast iron or forged steel. Each combination makes for a different price. I would find out exactly what the WoodCraft square is, and then compare it to McMaster & Carr pricing. MSC is also another good place for quality tools I am told, but I have never ordered from them. I have ordered on-line from M&C several times and have been quite happy with their service.

Last year I stumbled across a close out at Grizzly on a Starrett 24" four piece square for around $180 as I recall. To me, that was a deal.
    Best Regards, Ken

Martin, I just purchased my Starrett 4 piece set, which includes:

Starrett C434-12-4R
    Item : 12", 4R Grad, Satin Chrome Blade
    Product : Combination Sets with square head, center head and reversible protractor head and blade
    EDP No : 51548

I got it from a company called "Gagesgalore", where it was on sale for $138.75. That was the best price I could find. Here's their website:

http://www.gagesgalore.com/Starrett_Sale_Items.htm

It arrived well packaged, and in perfect condition 3 days after I ordered it! Really nice tool. Good luck in your hunt!
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 08-15-2003 at 8:51 PM.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

<br>
    Martin, as has been mentioned, there are several combinations of head material, scale finish, scale length, graduations, etc. Try this link to the <a href=http://lsstarrett.com/catalog/catalog/PLH2.asp?NodeNum=21489>Starrett</a> website. You can look at all the combinations and figure out what the numbers mean.

There's another great site, <a href=http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=8326c086112c3c2f390f64d37d c0bae1&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=toolshop&Category_Co de=TMS>Museum for Woodworking Tools</a> that has a lot of explanations of Starrett nomenclature.

I bought a 12" square from McFeeleys last spring for $49, which is about the best price around (sale no longer in effect, though), and for the record, it is a cast iron head, chrome 12" blade, with markings down to 64ths. That's a similar setup to most combination squares you have looked at, so would be a good choice. If memory serves, mine is a C11H-12-4R.

The C stands for satin chrome finish on the blade, the 11H means it is a machined cast iron head, the 12 means the blade is 12" long, and the 4R means 8ths, 16ths, Quick-Reading 32nds and 64ths graduations.

You absolutely will not be disappointed with such a square. The scale is the easiest to read, by an insanely wide margin, of any square I have ever used, bar none.

P.S. got the articles a couple of months ago. Thanks. They were great reading.

Thanks everyone...

Looks like I'll have to do some research before I make my purchase, but thanks for all the sites to check out.

Rod, I was beginning to wonder if I had forgotten to mail that stuff to you. I thought I might have misplaced it in one of my piles of things to sort "someday". Glad you liked them. I thought "Full Circle" was really neat.

I'll let you all know what I finally decide to buy and what I paid for it.

I'll get my Marc Adams photos back on Monday, then I can post some of the blanket chest class.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style