Thread: a DIY ZCI for the new folks

a DIY ZCI for the new folks

Hi Folks,

I couldn't sleep this morning so I banged out this little DIY instruction to help newbies make their inserts.

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/zc
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Nice, Bill, clearly written and easy to understand. Thanks. Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Nicely done, Bill. I second Tom's comment about it being easy to understand. (I write instructions for a living, so I think I'm a pretty good judge.) So far I've only bought pre-cut ZCIs, but I do think I'll try making my own the next time I need one. Thanks for posting it.

- Vaughn

Bill, this came just in time for me. I need to make a couple and your method will do me well. Thanks.
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

Great job Bill. I believe many here will gain from it.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Thanks. It has been a recurring subject over on another board so I figured I'd write something up. It's amazing how something that many of us take for granted can be new and needed info for others.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Very nice article, Bill.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Bill, neat article combined with good pic's will really benefit a lot of woodworkers. Thank you.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Blog Entries

ZCI Challenge for Me

Nicely written Bill. I really appreciate it when those of us who have a bit of extra time share our thought and methods with the forum.

I have a 60-odd year old Craftsman/Emerson that was given to my Dad by his Dad and now has come to me. My Grampa being who he was kept the machine in beautiful shape, it's almost spooky.

Anyway, the 3/32" thick throat insert provides a challenge for shop made inserts. My 40-odd year old saw is no problem as 1/4" hardboard with a fraction of a rabbet around the edge fits like a glove.

I was thinking of trying to make one out of some uhmw and thinning it down at the outer edge but worry about sag. Phenolic maybe?

Any thoughts or experience any of your folks have will be welcome.

Thanks,

Glenn

Thanks Bill,
    Easy to understand and good pics. I'll make a few.

Nicely done Bill. Mind sharing your source for the nylon set screws?

I had trouble drilling the right size holes for the MJ splitter in a phenolic ZCI. Any suggestions? When I made the drilling jig out of MDF, the holes were right on size but too tight in the phenolic.
    Les

Great job Bill!

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do so.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Spencer

I had trouble drilling the right size holes for the MJ splitter in a phenolic ZCI. Any suggestions? When I made the drilling jig out of MDF, the holes were right on size but too tight in the phenolic.
    Les,

My guess is that the phenolic just grabs the insert too tightly. The bit/peg size is designed for an interference fit in wood and since the phenolic is harder, there's less give and more interference. You might want to try soap or wax.

To remove the splitter I've found that the easiest and least likely to bend the posts is to use a piece of 1/2" material as a lever point.

Bill Esposito

Quote Originally Posted by Les Spencer

Les,

I think I got my screws locally but here's an online source http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/ssn.cfm
    Bill Esposito

Great job Bill, people who post helpful tips like that is what makes this a great forum. Sometimes people forget there are a few people reading that are just starting out in WW and simple tips for some but a great help to others.
    "The good guys wear plaid"