Thread: Rolling butcher block table with PICS

Rolling butcher block table with PICS

Hello to all,

After my less then exciting last project I started on a rolling butcher block table to add some extra counter space for our kitchen. I was excited about it so I was able to complete in 6 days (this is rather quick for me).

Dimensions 36" H x 40" L x 14.5" W (top 2" thick with wider frame)
    - End grain bubinga
    - End grain walnut heart and sap
    - Face grain ash strips and frame
    Frame
    - Maple
    Finish
    - Mineral oil followed by orange wax
    - Gloss black paint

The front 2 legs have to small wheels so with a slight lift of the rear it can me easily moved around. I tried to match the grain to please my eye although there is one piece that wasn't optimal ( I am sure you will see it). Other then that I am quite please but now not so sure I want to take a cleaver to it. I tried my best to get good pics in different light but couldn't get quite perfect.

Comments please.

Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are putting a cleaver to that then you are a sick man! I would put that in my living room!

Chris nailed my first thought, too...very nice table!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is the most beautiful butcher block I've ever seen. I don't think I could even lay a knife on edge on that artwork!

Outstanding

I've been pondering a butcher island/table for way too long - you may have just inspired me to do something about it! Very nice piece of work.

BTW, wherever that flaw is (less than optimal match) nobody else is going to notice. It's inevitable when we create something that we are hyper aware of the flaws but usually it goes unnoticed if you don't point it out.

Anyway. I better finish my countertops (figured western maple) and end grain floor before I launch into another project. I'm prepping a prized chunk of ancient Madrone for resawing into floor tiles. I think the pattern is going to be something like a section of seashell, spiralling out from the center of the room.

If I were to plan a project like this I would consult "The Encyclopedia of Wood" published by the forest service and use their data to calculate expansion/contraction for the end grain vs long grain, just a thought.

Beautiful work and thanks for the inspiration.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atwood
    If I were to plan a project like this I would consult "The Encyclopedia of Wood" published by the forest service and use their data to calculate expansion/contraction for the end grain vs long grain, just a thought.

Beautiful work and thanks for the inspiration.

Paul
    Paul,

It sounds like you have some great projects coming down. Yah, I posted on that exact same thought prior to my glue up. I liked the look of framing with the face grain but was aware of possible complications. I had a couple of responses with one person having success and another not as much. The successful board was of comparable thickness, so I am rolling the dice and time will tell. Heck, if things decide to open up a bit over time it is a cutting board, will call it character at that point.

Kyle

That's gorgeous, Kyle. How did you flatten the top? If you do end up using it as a cutting surface, as long as you use sharp knives (and nothing serrated), it'll get a "patina" of fine lines on the top, but nothing that can't be sanded out pretty easily on occasion. Unless you happened to have a bubinga tree to harvest in the back yard, I'm guessing it was a bit pricy, but it looks definitely worth it. It'll be around long after you're gone.

With the 2" thickness, I think you'll be OK as far as different expansion/contraction rates. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, just in case. Great job.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    How did you flatten the top? If you do end up using it as a cutting surface, as long as you use sharp knives (and nothing serrated), it'll get a "patina" of fine lines on the top, but nothing that can't be sanded out pretty easily on occasion.
    - Vaughn
    Vaughn,

To flatten the top I ran it over the jointer, turned it around and then did the other side taking small bites. This worked quite well followed by a bit of sanding through 1000grit micro mesh.

By the way outstanding kitchen renovation. Probably tough to keep that quiet as you moved through it.

Kyle

Thanks for the info Kyle. I'm guessing you have an 8" or larger jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stiefel
    ...By the way outstanding kitchen renovation. Probably tough to keep that quiet as you moved through it..
    Note the date of my "kitchen renovation" thread...I hope you enjoyed April Fool's Day as much as I did. (I made a full confession later in that thread, but some folks haven't seen it.)

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    I'm guessing you have an 8" or larger jointer.

Note the date of my "kitchen renovation" thread...I hope you enjoyed April Fool's Day as much as I did. (I made a full confession later in that thread, but some folks haven't seen it.)

- Vaughn
    Vaughn
    An 8" Grizzly which someday I hope to upgrade to a Shelix head on.

Nice April fools day, I guess I always liked the books with the pop up pictures and not the ones with many small words. I will read the fine print or at least make a honest effort.

Kyle

What is it really? A table to place behind a couch, some kind of ceremony thing?

Oh I get it- April fool right?

Very nice what ever it really is

Mark