Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Aging Radial Arm Saw With Miter Saw?

Replace Aging Radial Arm Saw With Miter Saw?

I'm ready to replace my old Craftsman RAS and am looking at these new-fangled cool-looking ufo-inspired Double Compound Sliding Miter saws. Things like lasers don't impress me: accurate cuts time after time impress me. I mostly build furniture, so portability is not an issue. At some point the wife will insist I start the molding I promised. I'd like to hear from the crowd if you think 1] this is a good idea, and 2] which of these puppies are most popular with Creekers?
    Thanks for your input!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I sold my RAS about a year or so after buying my Hitachi Sliding Compound miter saw. It finally occurred to me that, after buying the SCMS, I had never once used the RAS.

So, YES! You can replace the RAS with an SCMS. The only thing I've found that I can't do with the SCMS is fit a dado set onto it.

scott, in these parts the hitachi is the most popular. personally i use the milwaukee....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Makita and Bosch are pretty popular too. From what I understand the Makita is more accurate, but I have no personal experience with either, so take this post for what its worth

I have the Makita LS1013 and it is Great it was Dead On right out of the box. Butch

I bought my second DW708 to replace my aging radial arm saw.
    Dewalt is still in the box, as I haven't had time to build a wall full of base cabinets for the second saw to sit on.

I recently purchased the DW 708. I had used one in the past and found it to be very accurate. So I have only used mine for cross cutting long boards to manageable lengths, but have to install some molding soon. When I used it before, got accurate cuts with DeWalt so that miters fit perfectly. And I got a good deal since they are replacing it with a laser ready version.

Miter Saw vs RAS

Makita LS 1013 or De Walt 12"

Anyone have any luck with the Metabo?
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I have the DW708 with an upgraded (Makita) blade. It works fine. A friend who uses both Dewalt and Makita prefers the Dewalt.

Dewalt 708... cuts great and very accurate. I believe that most folks get rid of RAS because they have had the craftsman type that was not very well made. Dewalt, Original Saw, and Rockwell /delta all made very good quality RAS and those should not be confused with the craftsman version. I happen to like my turret style ( Rockwell / Delta ) RAS, which is really pretty accurate. But we digress

best wishes
    lou

Scott

I have the Metabo 81/2 inch SCM and I am very pleased. Very accurate and easy to tote. I use it mostling for trim work. I put a Tenyru blade on it and it performs as nice as any SCM I have ever used. I haven't used the 10 or 12 inch Metabo but my inspection of the tools suggest that they are very good quality. I would'nt hesitate to purchase either and if I was in the market for a 10 or 12 inch SCM, I would probably purchase a Metabo.

Thanks
    Dan

You do know that Emerson electric will probably buy that saw back from you for $100 and if is a recalled saw and you don't sell it back to them, but rather to someone else,you incur quite a bit liability. You can Google the Craftsman Recall site or go here:

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm

They respond quickly and pay the postage.

BTW, I did just that a bought the DW708 about 4 years ago and love it. I also picked up a Dewalt RAS about 1950 vintage that I use exclusively for dadoes. You can find good ones for under $200.

CPeter

I'd also be interested to hear from guys/gals who had and used RASes (sounds like something from the Princess Bride ) and have ditched them for SCMSes. Did you miss the RAS? If I've got a table saw cut-off sled and a GCSS do I ever really ever have need for the RAS anymore?

Mine has become a table to collect things on, and I think I've cleared it off and used it twice in the last two years. That's a fair bit of floor space to give up for a shelf. I'Ve found that I'd rather use a router for dados too, so even that selling point for the RAS isn't carrying much weight with me anymore.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Porter cable - Model 3802L - WOW!

I lusted after one of these puppies for some years but didn't feel the need. Then I came across one like new in a garage sale and brought it home. It's the high priced item 12" laser miter saw. That thing does cut straight and smooth and does it all day long. Even though they "look" portable they are pretty heavy and work best screwed to a good bench. I built up a special rolling table for it and roll it around the shop as needed.

The end cuts that thing produces are things of beauty.