Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sofa table-Mixed media (Finally!)...pics

Sofa table-Mixed media (Finally!)...pics

I suppose I'll now be banned from the group making stuff with their spinny things but, a guy just has to do what a guy has to do! In this case, it was a for my #1 client. Yeah, read that as: the LOML! She wanted a small sofa table, though one which wouldn't get in the way of traffic and would be a bit bigger than the straight part of the sectional. We finally decided on the design shown here. Not a single 90° on the thing! (Let's not get technical about the legs being perpendicular to the table parts!!! )

Main flats of the table are glued up BE Maple and I sure do wish the pictures would pick up the character of the wood better, as it's really nice! The apron was going to be Cherry until the LOML stopped into visit me at my #2 job and spotted this Bubinga sitting in the rack. So, the plan obviously changed, though we really do like the more extensive contrast added against the BE Maple.

The legs are 1" round SS tubes. Expensive you say??? NOT!!! I picked them up at a surplus/salvage place not too far from us for dirt cheap. They were actually tubes from disassembled commercial kitchen carts. (Some, complete with these BIG wheels.) I originally took some buffing compound to them and shined them up nice but, after looking more at them, they almost had a chrome look, which is not what I was after. I thought (ouch!) about it for a bit and made up a jamb drive for my lathe and mounted a leg between the centers. Fired up the lathe and took some 400 paper to it. End result was a nice "brushed" finish look to them.

The BE is 3/4" net and was rough cut on the BS. I had made templates out of some hardboard and finished them up with a pattern bit on my router. Just the slightest round-over on the top pieces to ease the edge a bit and then a pretty drastic chamfer back below to give the tops a bit lighter look. This was also the first time I had ever attempted a bent lamination. Now that was a "treat"!!! I made the form out of a couple 3/4" pieces of MDF, also cut to the exact replica of the tops by way of my original templates and the pattern bit. The included picture is the front apron and I think there were about 28 clamps on that glue-up! No pic but, on the rear apron, 32 clamps!!! I resawed all the Bubinga and ran it through my drum sander, yielding strips right around 3/32" or thereabouts. I ended up using my good old LV yellow glue and had just the very slightest spring-back off the mold. Quite happy with the results!

Finish schedule was a couple coats of Velvit Oil, a couple coats of spray shellac and about 7 coats of Watco lacquer. After curing, a real light pass with 400 to knock off major nibs, then 600 wet sand (both with the Porter Cable Speed Bloc sander), followed with a machine and hand rub-out using Behlen Buffer's Polish and finally, a couple coats of Renaissance Wax. Results are smooth as glass! As always, thanks for taking a peek and critiques are most welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Gee's, look at you doing curved work. Maybe I can find a place for you to help out with the curved rails.
    Great looking table, also.

Richard

Great looking table John! You handled that curved work like a PRO!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Gee's, look at you doing curved work. Maybe I can find a place for you to help out with the curved rails.
    Great looking table, also.

Richard
    Sure thing, Richard! BUT, if you think you're behind now, after that huge spiral gig you just got done with, my "help" would easily put you a couple years further back!!! Thanks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hi John,

Very unique design and beautiful execution!!! Thanks for your detailed description, too. Always interesting to hear the story behind the project!

Dan

Very cool design. Glad to hear the lamination went well.

Very nice, John. Great wood, and the finish looks sweet. Gotta love the lacquer. You're largely to blame for my recent affinity for the stuff.

- Vaughn

Ah....he are a Studio Furniture Maker now, eh?? (Nice job...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey John,

It's a beauty all the way from start to finish. Why Renaissance wax instead of the regualr ol' paste wax?

Bob
    bob m

As always John, nice work! LOML seconds my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    Hey John,

It's a beauty all the way from start to finish. Why Renaissance wax instead of the regualr ol' paste wax?

Bob
    Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Bob, Ren wax has come to be my "go to" wax ever since Eugene Collison recommended it eons ago for doing my hand planes with it. Now, it goes on just about everything in my shop, from TS bed to most every project I build! It goes on real, real easy, buffs out even easier and leaves a wonderful finish both, in looks and feel. Try it...You'll like it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John,
    Very nice work! What I am really appreciating is actually several things....you are designing your own stuff! You are trying new techniques and succeeding at your first attempt! That is great! If you try one new technique with each project, ....a new joint....a new finishing technique ,...or learning to use a new tool....you soon have a very large bag to pull woodworking skills from. What happens then is that every project your mind can imagine, you can figure out how to build. That is a terrific feeling! All of a sudden limits and boundries do not exist and you are free to design at will and your skills will allow you to execute... I have seen this challenging your self in your work and the projects you chose...it is what all of us should do. Some great woodworkers find a niche....they make one thing and soon master it....this is good too....but to expand your skills to be able to handle almost any project and be able to do each step several different ways....that is really learning and mastering...Excellent!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

And I thought you was out ice fishin' all this time Anyway, nice work and I'm sure those curves and angles were challenging. But you didn't use enuf clamps in the one picture. Good work, John and for a good cause (the LOYL). And she didn't have to cook dinner because of all that ice you caught
    Jerry

John,
    Be careful with the Rennasance wax....a freind of mine rubbed a little on his face and he is starting to look like Leonardo Di Vinci
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

John - a very unique piece.....well done!! The legs look great too!

The finish is unbelievable......NICE!!!

Tell me how you attached the legs? Are they "inset" into some 2x material with 1" bore in them....?