Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you still get 1/2" MDF?

Can you still get 1/2" MDF?

I haven't bought any wood for about 2 years other than a bit of cherry from the local mill. I went to Lowes last week. All the MDF that they had was 3/4". Hmmm... I thought I had bought it there before, but off to Home Depot... What? At least they had 5/8". 5/8's? Don't remember seeing it before. But no 1/2" there either. I use, or was using, a sheet here and there of 1/2" for fixtures and jigs. Now, I can't find it during off work hours. Is the stuff gone, or is it just my Lowes and HD?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    --snip-- Is the stuff gone, or is it just my Lowes and HD?

David
    Loads of it at my local HD, so it must just be the stores in your area.

Both Lowes and HD have it only in 2'x4' pieces here. For full sheets, 3/4" is the only MDF they carry. Call some local lumberyards, you know ... the ones that you never go to because all they have is construction lumber . There's one around here that stocks full sheets of 1/2" MDF and one that will order it for me (both substantially more expensive than 3/4 at the borg though). The place that stocks it is even open half day Saturday and late on Thursday nights.

Jay
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 04-02-2006 at 9:14 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

Around here Lowes only has it in 3/4, but you can get it at Home Depot in 1/2 and 3/4. In 2x4 sheets, they have 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4.

Menards carries it

It is on the shelf in my local Menards. I don't know if you have those in Ar. though.

Steve

This afternoon I bought a full size sheet of 1/2" MDF at the Home Depot in Bloomington, MN.

Rick

Are any of you really getting 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch, or 1/4 inch sheets thick sheets? My experience (both in Canada and the USA) is that sheet goods have used smaller metric "so called equivilents" for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Are any of you really getting 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch, or 1/4 inch sheets thick sheets? My experience (both in Canada and the USA) is that sheet goods have used smaller metric "so called equivilents" for some time.
    You're correct about plywood.

But from what I see, MDF is still of "real" thickness (3/4", 1/2", ...).

Melamine-coated particle board is actually a tad thicker than its nominal thickness.

Back to the original question - none of my local HD stores carries 1/2" thick MDF or melamine, only 3/4" and 5/8".

My local lumber yard (PALS in Emeryville, CA) carries 1/2" and 1/4" thick melamine, and 1/2" thick MDF.
    Last edited by Hoa Dinh; 04-02-2006 at 11:13 PM.

All my approximately 8 local 'borg stores only carry 1/2" MDF in 2' x 4' pieces. No full sheets. But the local full-service lumber yard carries it and can order it in whatever thickness I want.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You know... I didn't look in the cut pieces. HD has, or did have, those.

Actually, I know several guys who work at local "real" lumber yards. I prefer to do business with them. They are all open when I work and close before I do. Ugh! I guess they cater to the local builders who don't shop after normal work hours. I wouldn't mind even paying more to buy from real people. The convenience of the borg keeps me coming back. Owning a retail/service business does have a downside or two. I may have to get the guys I know to bring me something.

David

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    Both Lowes and HD have it only in 2'x4' pieces here. For full sheets, 3/4" is the only MDF they carry. Call some local lumberyards, you know ... the ones that you never go to because all they have is construction lumber . There's one around here that stocks full sheets of 1/2" MDF and one that will order it for me (both substantially more expensive than 3/4 at the borg though). The place that stocks it is even open half day Saturday and late on Thursday nights.

Jay

No Menards yet.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Dixon
    It is on the shelf in my local Menards. I don't know if you have those in Ar. though.

Steve

The local Lowes here doesn't even have MDF and the high quality employees didn't even know what it was.

The HD has full sheets of MDF and 1/4" hard board in full sheets.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Hmmm... Frank, I just measure some 1/4, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4" MDF that is in the gara... er shop. 1/4" measured .253. 1/2" was .495. 5/8 was .620. 3/4 was .756. That was at several points on a couple of probably different sheets. That runs about +/- .006" to Imperial Architectural measurement. Our plywood is definitely "out there somewhere", but MDF is pretty close.

You just live in "metric land".

David

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow

David, what about having one of the local places deliver it? The local lumber yard by me will deliver anything for free. The only thing they ask on small orders is that you be flexible with the delivery day. Maybe they could deliver it to your business?

Hey Matt, what lumber yard is delivering for free around in SE Michigan?

That would earn my business in a heartbeat!