Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie alert!

Newbie alert!

Well, I hope all you dizzy folks are pleased with yourselves, you've gone and snagged another perfectly contented flatlander and sucked 'em into the vortex . . .

Just kidding, I've thrown myself in quite willingly. I've been lurking around here for awhile, but with all the strange noises I heard, I wasn't quite sure it was safe to come inside . . .

I've been planning a lathe purchase for quite some time; actually, I've been thinking about it for a long time, and seriously planning since last summer. I finally got me a big green HF model lathe and the entry-level HF tool set, along with the Woodcraft slow-speed grinder and the Wolverine jig. This past weekend we opened up the shop for the season and got things set up. I'm not precocious like some of the other "new" turners who hang out here, so I'm not going to post pictures of a NE hollow form with a lacquer finish you can see yourself in. I'm struggling through the Official Turning Primer, still on Chapter One, "Getting to Know Your Lathe." I badly need to study Chapter Two, "Making Friends with Your Grinder." Grinding is not my best thing.

But of course, if I wait till I get through the whole reading list, summer will be over and we'll be closing up shop again, so I had to start somewhere. I cut a 2x4 down to 2x2 and turned myself a Round Thing. I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but my cat Isabelle recognized it immediately. That's right, you guessed it - it's a kitty massager!

Erin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Hah! The Vortex is live and kickin'!!! Welcome Erin!! I'm afraid you're kitty is mistaken however.....That's a bonker if I ever saw one. Well done!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Welcome Erin. You picked a great place to hang out. I am learning there a lot of great, willing teachers here.

Welcome to the Abyss Erin! Don't listen John, Erin........A bonker can be a kitty massager ........it's a matter of technique and application!

It's probably just as well that you jumped into the vortex on your own....the idiots here will push or pull you in otherwise!

HEY ANDY............We got another one!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Erin,

Welcome to the dark side. Your project is a perfect way to start. All spindle turning is either a bead, cove, or part and it looks like you captured them all in you practice piece. Keep up the good work and we expect to see a hollow form turning next week .

Great idea! My cats like to use my leg maybe this is what I need. Welcome to the spiny side. I still remember your nice workbench, I'm sure you'll have a blast with the lathe!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Hey Erin, I know what you mean about being a contented flatlander....but this spinny business does open up possibilities. I'm thinking about turning some table legs for a upcoming project later on.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Welcome Erin. Most folks here are very nice and helpful, but watch out for that guy named Andy--he's especially nice regardless of what he says.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Yippee and thank goodness you are here.......these guys need a project and I was afraid it was going to be me. Now that the heat is off of me to get a lathe, I will look forward in seeing your progress Erin, you have made a great start. I hope you have fun but I have to tell you, a part of me hates to see another one gobbled up into the depths of the beast. Seem they come over here never to return to the land of flat.......please don't be a statistic. I will pray for your safe return.

It's useless to resist Shelley..........it won't hurt.......relax.....stare into the center of the vortex.........you'll like it...........it won't hurt.........

Shelley you really want a lathe............Shelley you really want a lathe...relax.....it won't hurt a bit!...........relax
    Ken

BTW Erin.......You are going about it in the right manner! Start our practicing as you are doing. After you really get comfortable with turning spindles......try a box or a goblet........The difference in those are turning endgrain which really isn't too difficult but is different. In the meantime....the sharpening......a light touch and don't go too fast.....lightly is the key word!
    Ken

Erin,
    Welcome to the dark side from someone who recently got sucked in as well. I haven't had much time to do spinny stuff lately, but that'll change soon. I too have to figure out chapter two so I can move onto chapter three, making a bowl out of green spinny stock!

Great start on the slide down the vortex, but don't confuse the kitty massager with a bonker and end up with a kitty bonker
    Jerry Vander Till
    Once I couldn't even spell injuneer, now I are one.

Looks great but are you sure you didn't hand carve that bonker I sure don't see picture af a lathe & tools anywhere in this post.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    ......Now that the heat is off of me to get a lathe.....
    What a fanciful illusion you've created for yourself Shelley. I see you kinda like it over here. Perhaps the circular forces are tugging ever so gently.....ever so gently...
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    OOOOh Nooooo!! Not you too Erin
    I thought you were a confirmed Neander It's a treddle lathe right
    It's just a phase it will pass...... I mean look at the people in this place.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/