Thread: Better chuck?

Better chuck?

I bought everything Grizzly when I started my wwing shop. This included a grizzly lathe. I have now noticed a problem (I think). The threads on the spindle are 1" x 12 threads and I notice that most if not all of the better chuck manufacturers do not offer a chuck or adaptor in this thread size. I could finagal a way to make an adaptor, but I figure to tap into potential knowedge of a possible solution from this mountain of minds on the creek. You can spare me any verbal or written whacks related to my unthought out purchase of the oriental machine. Thanks. I have noticed that grizz does offer a new chuck but I'm leary of it's precision.

If your threads are 1x12 60 degree, you can get an adapter for the Oneway chucks from Oneway. Other than that, you can find an adapter that will change your spindle size and thread patern. The only prroblem with the latter is the possibility of runout when it is installed.

Cheers
    Gordon

What is runout? Run out of threads?

Runout - turning out of round.

You know Gordon, I checked all the major chucks offered by woodturner's supply and none of them listed an adaptor of the right thread pitch. I will contact the manufacturers directly and see if they have one offered. I do have a friend who has a large lathe/metal fab shop, and I am planning on visiting him to barter for use of his tig machine. I have a stainless steel table that needs some tig attention. I might just have to find a piece of 5160 or similar to turn an adaptor. What are the threads in the back of a oneway chuck? Are they female 1x8? I would surmise that they are of one thread pitch with different adaptors offered to fit most lathe's. I haven't decided on which chuck to get yet, but I nearly have the wife convinced that it is a neccessary evil that needs to be purchased. I am a diemaker by trade so making an adaptor is a rather simple task. Might have to spring for an expensive tap though. To eliminate runout I would have to make a 1x12 stud and indicate it in the lathe and then screw the adaptor to that before turning the 1x8 threads.

Paul, contact OneWay directly...most retailers only carry the "common" sizes for spindle thread adapters.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's a link for the adaptor sizes for a "Talon chuck" from Oneway. It lists a 1"X12TPI adaptor in both 60 degree, and 55 degree threads.
    http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm

Oneway is the only one that makes an adaptor for my BroadHead Garret/J-line lathe. Check their web site and see if they list one. I bet they do. If you order direct from them remember they are in Canada so you will have to wait on Coustoms for it to cross the border (1 week in my case).

My old Atlas was also a 1 inch 12 pitch, so I purchased a die and rethreaded it to 1 inch 8 and it has worked several years and no run-out!
    Jerry