Thread: Delta Jointer Question

Angry Delta Jointer Question

Evening, Gentlemen! I've got a Delta 37-280 6" jointer that I am having some problems getting a handle on. First and foremost, when I took ownership of the jointer, it was obvious that at some point, all three blades had a close encounter with a piece of metal, as there is relatively big chunk taken out of each blade. I need to get them either re-ground or just flat out replaced. My problem is that I don't have the little wrench that came with the jointer to loosen the nuts on the blades. I searched the Delta website and couldn't find a replacement. Do any of you have any idea where I can get a replacement? It's pretty frustrating at this point as I am at a point where a project is now on hold until I can get this taken care of.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    I searched the Delta website and couldn't find a replacement. Do any of you have any idea where I can get a replacement?
    Call Delta on the phone to get the part(s) you need, although there are probably better sources (read: more economical) for the knives, like Jesada and others. But the wrench shouldn't be a problem for Delta to sell to you. It's not something you'll generally find on a web site.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hi Keith,

As far as the wrench is concerned I wouldn't buy the Delta wrench. I used the stock wrench that came with my Delta jointer and stripped it promptly. I bought a wrench from my local auto supply and ground it down thin enough to fit the slot.

Once I removed the original bolts that hold the knives in I took them to a car mechanic buddy of mine and he replaced them with the same size in a grade 80 ( or whatever it is) and I've never rounded the heads of those bolts yet. Hope this helps, I know what it's like to skin my knuckles when the wrench slips. Ouch.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Hey Keith,

I agree...don't waste your money on the delta wrench. Craftsman sells thin (somewhere in the 1/8"-3/16" thickness range) wrenchs that have one normal open end with the other open end rotated about 45 degrees relative to the body. That's what I use on mine and I haven't had the dreaded bolt head problem.

They're cheap and work very well

Ron

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, guys! I've got to go to Sears anyway, which always includes a stroll through the tool section. I'll take a look for those wrenches. Gotta get those bad boys off, or I'm toast!

Keith