Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK who's David Marks

OK who's David Marks

I don't watch TV in my home just for the simple its, to me, wasted time I can be doing something else. I use to watch wood working shows but now i work an off shift and would miss the good ones so I just watch tapes or CD's.
    Anyway who is Dave marks because I have seen that Name more than a coulpe of times lately.

Reg,

A Google search brings this up...

http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp

He hosts a show called "Woodworks" on the DIY channel. I like his show and the stuff he builds is nice, but one thing he does drives me crazy.

David will say... "For this section of our piece we'll run it through the **insert name of impossibly huge and expensive tool that none of you have at home**. Once we're done using the "impossibly huge and expensive tool that none of you have at home" we'll be ready for assembly."

Anyway I can do that on my table saw, David? Thanks bud.

g

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    I don't watch TV in my home
    I just watch tapes or CD's.
    So which is it, do you watch TV or not? 'seems to be contradictory statements here. Or do you watch the tapes outside your home(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    So which is it, do you watch TV or not? 'seems to be contradictory statements here. Or do you watch the tapes outside your home(?).
    lol nope Barry...I built a little stag on top of the TV set and the tapes and cds get to danc and sing...

reg, i don`t watch tv at all! so my guess is he`s some type of woodworking guru like the norm guy? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I'd watch him if DirecTV had the decency to include DIY in their basic package. Just their way of sticking it to me, as if they aren't already. But hope is in sight.....the cable people just finished digging in our neighborhood.
    Mark

Guess what....DIY has dumped him, in my area anyway. Used to come on at 8 AM, but not there as of past Monday (first day of daylight saving time). Plenty of home decorating shows on though.
    Y'all have a gooden...

All I know is he must be part owner in a MDF plant somewhere because evey piece he builds he makes templates out of the stuff for each piece of a project. I don't have room or the money in my shop for all those templates or storage of that many 1/2" and 3/4" MDF. He does make some nice pieces out of a lot of different woods.
    "The good guys wear plaid"

Yeah, that MDF fetish he has is really something. I've seen the mini-barn he uses for wood storage. He must have another one somewhere for MDF template storage. Of course, if I were going to be on national TV making two copies of a project in a short period of time I would probably have tamplates and jigs every where so that I looked like I knew what I was doing. I'd imagine profesionals that reporoduce pieces with any frequency do the same.

I once commented here that he was an excellent woodworker but built stuff the average Joe or Jane couldn't afford to build because of the exotic woods he used. I got corrected...........He was on the local cable company for a few months.......he builds some incredible stuff using some interesting techniques.........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David Marks was hired by DIY network to do the Woodworks show, oriented to higher end furniture and accessories. All were done in his personal shop, which has an eclectic mix of tools... from an ordinary table saw and inexpensive old model Performax drum sander to an antique 15 inch jointer, and a $3000 multirouter for mortise and tenon joints. In addition to his "normal" bandsaw, he has a 36 inch monster that never appears on the show. For a while he was not allowed to use his lathe (or any of his 3 lathes) on the show. He did close to 100 shows, but those shows are owned by the network, not under his control (and no royalty if/when the network chooses to run them).

I am frustrated, like many, that the DIY network (at least in our area) is only part of the couch potato package (full time TV viewing required to justify the cost of 1000 channels), but they occasionally run a few shows as teasers on the HGTV network.

Although David has not ruled out more shows, the network has not come back with an offer, so David has returned to woodworking and teaching... he is often seen at trade shows and in classes around the country. I have met him numerous times, and find him an extremely pleasant and down-to-earth guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums
    I am frustrated, like many, that the DIY network (at least in our area) is only part of the couch potato package (full time TV viewing required to justify the cost of 1000 channels), but they occasionally run a few shows as teasers on the HGTV network.
    As long as they have us where they want us, they can stick it to us on whatever terms they desire. And we just tolerate it. Kind of like the big oil companies jacking up prices, gouging consumers and (wrongly) blaming it on natural disasters. Their profits tell the real story. Drifting OT here...guess I'll shut up now.
    Mark

I have the Dish Network and he is on DIY all the time. I've probably got about 25-30 shows of his recorded on my DVR. The thing I enjoy about these shows is the little tricks one picks up here and there plus he showcases a few good little jigs as well.

My fav jig of his is the one to create scarf joints (usually for thin ebony inlay) on the disc sander. Very nice, clean way to do it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    As long as they have us where they want us, they can stick it to us on whatever terms they desire. And we just tolerate it. Kind of like the big oil companies jacking up prices, gouging consumers and (wrongly) blaming it on natural disasters. Their profits tell the real story. Drifting OT here...guess I'll shut up now.
    Mark
    Not really Mark. I said no years ago when the companyies started jacking the prices up higher and higher. Since I own the electric poles on my property I told them to come take their lines down I didn't want their cable anymore. That was 4 years ago and they said they didn't need to take them down for the reason they contracted from the power company to use the poles from their lines. I went to the power company and gor a letter stateing I had to purchess the poles because of the distance to my home from the main line. I sent them a copy and told them you take them down or I will. they came 2 days later and took them down